IP to DVR

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So am having a bit of a challenge. I went over to a new client and i noticed that the person who installed there CCTV made a big mess or let me put it the right ripped him off..

What he did was install 52 IP cameras to DVR's using a balun (chine very poor quality)? The picture quality is bad. Some videos flicker and some keeps disconnecting. So now am here to clean up and get it working in the best possible way. I have made due with what is here as in DVR and Cameras stays and nothing changes but i need from you guys maybe to direct me to a neater way or better way to get it fixed. What should i use instead of a balun? Or what advices you can give..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are not ip cameras...they are analog cameras...he just used ethernet cable to connect them...there is nothing you can do..replace the cameras and dvr.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are not ip cameras...they are analog cameras
Yes your totally right. I should have checked the cameras but i assumed they were. Anyways, the client doesn't want to replace 52 cameras and the dvr's, it would cost him a fortune at the moment. Am considering changing the baluns to a better quality.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i doubt new baulns will help anything; your better off running away from this client as fast as possible.. looks like nothing but trouble.

mebe you can convince him to replace some of the most critical cameras with IP, and then slowly start converting the rest as he can.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your better off running away from this client as fast as possible
LOL, hes my cousin. The system is a year old only. There must be something we can do.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So am having a bit of a challenge. I went over to a new client and i noticed that the person who installed there CCTV made a big mess or let me put it the right ripped him off..

What he did was install 52 IP cameras to DVR's using a balun (chine very poor quality)? The picture quality is bad. Some videos flicker and some keeps disconnecting. So now am here to clean up and get it working in the best possible way. I have made due with what is here as in DVR and Cameras stays and nothing changes but i need from you guys maybe to direct me to a neater way or better way to get it fixed. What should i use instead of a balun? Or what advices you can give..
Yes quite a mess for sure, But if you must figure it out, start with the runs that are cutting out, re crimp any rj45's and re seat the baluns. Start with the priority's. Then work to the ones with poor quality and do the same. All 52 cameras cant be screwed up? The only reason I say this is because he is your cousin, If it was a new client looking for help from me, I would become very busy all of the sudden. Seems once you touch somebody's already screwed up system you become married to it and I will say this is one UGLY bride.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, after cleaning up and tiding the cables as much as I could (even thought it still looks rough) but much better. I noticed that the power supply 12volts output is 13.1volts. I connected a single adaptor of 12volts and the video became clear and perfect. My solution is am getting a better quality power supply and change the old and some of the baluns.

One question though. How many output can I take from a single adaptor to connect to more than one cam. Would this work?

What do you guys think?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
So, after cleaning up and tiding the cables as much as I could (even thought it still looks rough) but much better. I noticed that the power supply 12volts output is 13.1volts. I connected a single adaptor of 12volts and the video became clear and perfect. My solution is am getting a better quality power supply and change the old and some of the baluns.

One question though. How many output can I take from a single adaptor to connect to more than one cam. Would this work?

What do you guys think?
Not sure from the picture you posted about how the cams are powered. Usually with CCTV systems you can have a central power supply located near the DVR and when you are using standard Siamese RG59. Also some of the home consumer units have a power supply with multiple pigtails. Or every camera has its own wall wart near the camera. I cannot say for sure but usually the power supply's are rated and so are your cams. A little math will give you your answer. BTW how is your system powered? With 52 cameras I would like to think you have a couple of these in your system.
18-Port CCTV Power Supply Box-15-PB12A18D3 - The Home Depot

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know also, I thought analog cameras were all powered off their respective DVR. But i guess if they are having power issues this is not the case.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
You can do it with something like chris posted above, but you need to know what each camera draws amperage wise. Take that number and multiply that times the number of cameras you have. That will tell you the size of power supply.
It's typically not a lot of draw per cam, but you need to know to purchase the correct power supplies.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They used a poor quality power supply. Am not sure how many output it has but issue is it's giving 13.1volts instead of 12volts. Am thinking of ripping it off and rewiring power supply. I don't know this is really getting me angry. 1 week on just one system is making look as if I don't know what am doing. Am going to on work on the power supply first and see how it goes from there.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
They used a poor quality power supply. Am not sure how many output it has but issue is it's giving 13.1volts instead of 12volts. Am thinking of ripping it off and rewiring power supply. I don't know this is really getting me angry. 1 week on just one system is making look as if I don't know what am doing. Am going to on work on the power supply first and see how it goes from there.
There has to be more than one power supply for 52 cameras, Its not hard to figure out what you really need. All your cameras are rated, for voltage and amps. You just need to do the math. If you are not familiar how to do this their are numerous on line power calculators, I use them all the time because I'm lazy.
Here is a good place to start and will give you a good refresher on using rj 45 vs Siamese and most importantly voltage drop.
http://www.2mcctv.com/blog/2011_11_17-cctv-power-supply-distance-cables/