IP5M-T1277EW-AI vs. IP5M-T1179EW

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed an Amcrest IP5M-T1277EW-AI under my mailbox:

It's the one pointing uphill, while the one pointing downhill is an older IP5M-T1179EW that I'd been buying for ~$50 - $57/ea. over the last few years (total of 20 units in 3 locations):

I paid $79.99 for the new IP5M-T1277EW-AI after receiving a promotional email from Amcrest offering the following:

Please note that the $125.00 research fee payable to you is not a refund, rebate, or prepayment for the product. But, rather it is a payment for your time and effort spent in researching the product including testing the product, studying the listing & competitors, answering questions, and providing us with written feedback on the product for our R&D team.
So this isn't exactly a completely neutral review, although I'll try to be objective.

Resolutions offered are as follows:

IP5M-T1277EW-AIIP5M-T1179EWHresVresMpixAspect
Y296016684.941.77
Y288016204.671.78
Y259219445.041.33
YY268815204.091.77
Y256014403.691.78
YY204815363.151.33
YY230412962.991.78
YY192010802.071.78
YY12809601.231.33
YY12807200.921.78

Here's an interesting note on resolution. It appears that the camera is changing resolution by resampling the sensor's FOV, not by cropping. If you look at the difference between 2960×1668 (1.77):

1685509114065.png

and 2048x1536 (1.33):

1685509227764.png

(I'm attempting to scale them to approx their native aspect ratios) you'll see that the same areas of the tree and of my neighbor's railing are visible; it's just that it's squished into fewer image pixels. I don't know if this is typical or atypical, but it's not what I was expecting.

In terms of image quality, I set both cameras to the highest common resolution of 2688×1520/h264/BRC_CBR/20fps/I=20, at the same 6144 kbps so that I could do a side-by-side comparison of vehicles transiting through both FOVs. There is a gap of about a car length between the two FOVs because there's a diagonal piece of wood in the way. I'll mount the 3rd camera (see below) underneath that wood piece to pick up the gap and the cross street.

Side-by-side video comparison, here:

The first two clips are during daylight hours, the next two are in B&W during night hours, and the last two are in Night Color mode.

We had some moonlight, but not much. Both cameras make it seem there's more light than there was. A human walking around would be completely blind.

In general I can definitely say that the new camera is an improvement over the older camera. The Night Color difference is pretty dramatic, and I'd actually consider using the newer camera in this mode, whereas the old camera in Night Color is not very useful at all.

In daylight and in B&W I also find the IP5M-T1277EW-AI to have a little more detail. See the texture of the pavement in daylight and the foliage in B&W.

The price of the IP5M-T1277EW-AI on amazon had dropped to $69.99 minus a $10 instant coupon for a net price of $59.99, and the older IP5M-T1179EW is the same $59.99, so I ordered another IP5M-T1277EW-AI that I will mount as the Northbound camera and move the IP5M-T1179EW to point at the cross-street that tees into my mailbox.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for posting.....I couldn't help but hear a Chuck Norris, Total Gym Infommercial in my head lol....forgive me.....
The Following is a paid promotional advertisement for IP5M-T1277EW Super Cam.......With Chuck Norris and Gena Norris.....
1685688535342.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's got a noticeably more crisp image on the Youtube footage.....does it have a locking turret? my only gripe about the 1179ew is you can walk up and turn it however you want.
They seem to shy away from sensor size info.....on Amazon.
the Amcrest site lists it though.
1685689129084.png

Last edited:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's got a noticeably more crisp image on the Youtube footage.....does it have a locking turret? my only gripe about the 1179ew is you can walk up and turn it however you want.
It does have a metal base and a set screw, but I haven’t tried yanking on it after tightening.

I figure if someone can touch it, they can obscure it, remove it, or destroy it.
And I’ll have footage of them just before that happens:)

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They seem to shy away from sensor size info.....on Amazon.
the Amcrest site lists it though.
View attachment 164644
I like Amcrest cameras but they usually sell inferior version of the Dahua cameras compared to Andy's cameras especially on sensor size part.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like Amcrest cameras but they usually sell inferior version of the Dahua cameras compared to Andy's cameras especially on sensor size part.
Yeah, but I love the pricing!

And I wish the industry would get away from the 1/x sensor sizing nomenclature. Why not just list the actual diagonal in mm? e.g. 1/2.7" = 9.4mm. Then "larger is better," as with most specs, and we don't have to deal with odd fractions when comparing.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Resolutions offered are as follows:
IP5M-T1277EW-AIIP5M-T1179EWHresVresMpixAspect
Y296016684.941.77
Y288016204.671.78
Y259219445.041.33
YY268815204.091.77
Y256014403.691.78
YY204815363.151.33
YY230412962.991.78
YY192010802.071.78
YY12809601.231.33
YY12807200.921.78
On a side note, is there a convenient way to paste from Excel or Word into a forum table? I had to do the above cell-by-cell :banghead:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why not just do a print screen and then post it as a picture?
My geek brain strenuously objects to transforming data into non-data.

Once it’s an image, it’s no longer possible to copy/paste from it, other than in an app that has OCR, such as macOS Preview, but then even that is sometimes unreliable.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oooof. I bought another unit yesterday for $69.99, and then this morning they went on sale for $59.99:

but my unit has already shipped, so I can’t cancel and reorder.

It’s not worth the hassle to return and reorder for $10, but I should just remember to never, ever order anything the day before a major U.S. holday:banghead:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And now they're all the way down to $49.99. Maybe I should upgrade my trail cameras in pursuit of better night vision.

Has anyone taken one of these apart to see if the 12 V diode bypass for an external illuminator still works?

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@TheWaterbug Do you have any control over the active deterrents?

I am seriously considering the same cameras in black, but I am hoping I'll have some way to turn on the active deterrent with either Home Assistant or Blue Iris. Maybe an HTTP PUT or POST string might work on this.

edit: I should have mentioned I am looking for local control of the deterrents vs cloud app based

2PACK-IP5M-T1277EB-AI

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't played with the active deterrents at all. I'm just using them as plain ol' cameras.
In your case I think it would annoy the drivers as your cams are set very close to the road. Worst case scenario, it may dazzle a driver causing an accident. No one needs that. That said it'd be neat to have some video of how effective the LEDs are.

In my case the cams would be aimed between two houses, so active deterrents are a good thing, even if it were just me out late at night walking between the houses.

I currently have 4 different models of Amcrest cams in my network, the IP5M's would be the 5th. The only model that disappointed me was a fixed dome that 1-the IR LEDs burnt out and 2-Reflection of the lens on the dome was bad at certain times of day. Might be inclined to retire that one if I buy 4 of these IP5Ms.

If I don't pull the trigger on these I will get a cheap Chinese PTZ that has lots of active deterrents. However I am trying to get away from split networks which currently isolate my "rogue Chi..." cams from the real world. Managing 2 nets, 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.10.xxx has become more of a chore since Home Assistant cannot see both networks with the Raspberry Pi even though there are 2 nics, WiFi and wired.

Back to the deterrents, it would be really nice if we did not have to do a Rube Goldberg to use all the features of our cams, but actually we are early adopters. ONVIF helped but seemed to have stalled about 8 years ago and the only sign of life recently has been talk of 2-way audio. It would be a blessing to have a unified solution with some clout like Matter that would allow us to use all features of our devices without the Rube Goldberg network.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In your case I think it would annoy the drivers as your cams are set very close to the road. Worst case scenario, it may dazzle a driver causing an accident. No one needs that. That said it'd be neat to have some video of how effective the LEDs are.

In my case the cams would be aimed between two houses, so active deterrents are a good thing, even if it were just me out late at night walking between the houses.

I currently have 4 different models of Amcrest cams in my network, the IP5M's would be the 5th. The only model that disappointed me was a fixed dome that 1-the IR LEDs burnt out and 2-Reflection of the lens on the dome was bad at certain times of day. Might be inclined to retire that one if I buy 4 of these IP5Ms.

If I don't pull the trigger on these I will get a cheap Chinese PTZ that has lots of active deterrents. However I am trying to get away from split networks which currently isolate my "rogue Chi..." cams from the real world. Managing 2 nets, 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.10.xxx has become more of a chore since Home Assistant cannot see both networks with the Raspberry Pi even though there are 2 nics, WiFi and wired.

Back to the deterrents, it would be really nice if we did not have to do a Rube Goldberg to use all the features of our cams, but actually we are early adopters. ONVIF helped but seemed to have stalled about 8 years ago and the only sign of life recently has been talk of 2-way audio. It would be a blessing to have a unified solution with some clout like Matter that would allow us to use all features of our devices without the Rube Goldberg network.
I have several Dahua OEM active deterrent cameras (they make Amcrest) and I can say the active deterrence is kind a gimmicky, especially the TIOC with the blue and red lights where I was hoping it would look like police car lights reflecting off of everything and it does squat. Can only see it if looking straight at the camera.

The lights are piddly and will only be seen in complete darkness or if the perp looks directly at it.

Further, there is enough anecdotal evidence here that shows that motion activated lights are not a deterrent as everybody is used to lights turning on for animals and bugs and about anything else. Further the light source is not much better than a cellphone flashlight. Bright looking directly at it, but weak spread of light to illuminate something.

Watch this video someone posted and how the floodlight comes on and they don't even flinch. But then the audio comes on and they don't know which way to run LOL.

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ohh thanks for that. Pretty interesting. Now you got me thinking I should have 2-way audio deterrents. That audio is quite loud. I wonder if it is from the camera. Would you be able to point me to the source of that clip ?

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought an Amcrest IP5M-T1277EB-AI and for $59. I do not regret it. Compared to the IP5M-T1179EW I cannot tell much difference but the full aluminum construction is very nice. I do not use the deterrents feature. The IR at night works very well but I was not impressed with trying to run in color at night using the LED light. I do not use CPAI in Blueiris and generaly use IVS rules but so far I have not got them to function on this camera.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need two new cameras for the entryway at my office. The IP5M-T1179EW-28MM has a 24% coupon at amazon, bringing it down to <$46:

1700247419353.png

whereas the IP5M-T1277EW-AI is still $60.

One thing I need to check is whether the 12 VDC power diode can be bypassed on the newer camera like it can on the older camera, for powering an external illuminator. But not for this installation, since the lights in the lobby and that light between the two cameras, and the similar lights down the row to the right, are always on at night:

1700247575015.png

so I think I'm going with the newer model for a few bucks more.