IPC Color4k-T vs IPC T54IR-AS vs IPC T54IR-ZE

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at expanding my camera coverage after recent events in my neighborhood. I currently have Empiretech 5442 cameras in a mix of 2.8mm, 3.6mm, and 6mm focal lengths.

Im trying to figure out what I should buy. The last time I purchased cameras was 4 years ago. It seems as if the 5442 has been upgraded, but apparently there is also the Color4k camera.

I want the best night time performance I can get. I don't care if it is color or B+W with IR. Out of the options listed in the title, what will give me the best night time performance.

I also do NOT want to use the on board leds on the Color4k, and there is not much illumination around my house.

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you don't have a lot of light and don't want to use the built in white LED, then the 54IR (5442) S3 series will be your best option.
How much better is the s3 vs s2 series? I have the s2 currently.

I'm also considering the mini ptz as well. Not completely ready to pull the trigger though.

Is there any decent way I could measure the light to see if it would be enough for the color 4k? I've seen conflicting info where some say it is much better than the 5442 due to larger sensor size, while others say it is not as good.

The only real light I have is whatever my neighbors have on, and a street lamp that's about 100-150 feet away from the camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You probably dont have enough light to make use of the 4K if you arent going to use the white LEDs. A nighttime picture would help.

The S3 upgrade to the 5442 is a good improvement. You probably wont be able to run it in color either, once you adjust the exposure to something that wont be a big blurry blob. But it will do quite well in IR/B&W. Its the current go-to

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mini-PTZ struggles at night and would only be recommended if size of the PTZ was more important than picture quality.

Many here consider the S3 a big enough improvement that they could have made it a new model number, but we suspect they stayed with the 5442 series because of how well known it is.

Here are some review threads and you can see the improvements:

Here is an excerpt from one of them:

Here is my existing Z4E – it is a dark image and just not very useful. And if I try to adjust the other parameters to make it brighter, I get the ghost/tails that we see when trying to push the limits too far.

nightOLDjeepZ4E.jpg

Here is the new Z4E -S3– the image is so much brighter. Clearly there are improvements in the sensor and firmware.

NightnewJEEPz4e.jpg

There are clearly improvements between the sensor and the firmware as the newer one definitely produces a better image at night. And it can be ran at a much faster shutter speed. At night looking at the Jeep wheels, it doesn't even look like it is moving. The old Z4E is too dark and running it in color I cannot get a fast enough shutter to freeze frame it to that detail. This is great for adding more details for that questionable vehicle.

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The mini-PTZ struggles at night and would only be recommended if size of the PTZ was more important than picture quality.

Many here consider the S3 a big enough improvement that they could have made it a new model number, but we suspect they stayed with the 5442 series because of how well known it is.

Here are some review threads and you can see the improvements:

Here is an excerpt from one of them:

Here is my existing Z4E – it is a dark image and just not very useful. And if I try to adjust the other parameters to make it brighter, I get the ghost/tails that we see when trying to push the limits too far.

nightOLDjeepZ4E.jpg

Here is the new Z4E -S3– the image is so much brighter. Clearly there are improvements in the sensor and firmware.

NightnewJEEPz4e.jpg

There are clearly improvements between the sensor and the firmware as the newer one definitely produces a better image at night. And it can be ran at a much faster shutter speed. At night looking at the Jeep wheels, it doesn't even look like it is moving. The old Z4E is too dark and running it in color I cannot get a fast enough shutter to freeze frame it to that detail. This is great for adding more details for that questionable vehicle.
Awesome. Thank you.

Why would you recommend against the mini ptz? I can fit a larger ptz, is there one you would recommend over the mini? I saw a diginlur review on YouTube and it looked pretty impressive.

For reference, the mini ptz I am referencing is the PTZ425DB-AT

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that mini-PTZ and it needs a lot of light and it has a soft focus at night, as you can see from the review threads:

This is at 50 feet with IR at full blast 100, outside lights on, other cameras IR hitting this area, and car headlights helping.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good camera and the size and price can't be beat for its capabilities. It is just a shame they didn't pair up an ideal MP/sensor ratio on it. But for many use cases, it can work. And if the alternative is no PTZ, well then I would take it even with the soft focus.

1707619907668.png

But if you want a true performer in low light, then go with this one:

EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight IR 5.4mm–135mm Va

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have that mini-PTZ and it needs a lot of light and it has a soft focus at night, as you can see from the review threads:

This is at 50 feet with IR at full blast 100, outside lights on, other cameras IR hitting this area, and car headlights helping.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good camera and the size and price can't be beat for its capabilities. It is just a shame they didn't pair up an ideal MP/sensor ratio on it. But for many use cases, it can work. And if the alternative is no PTZ, well then I would take it even with the soft focus.

1707619907668.png

But if you want a true performer in low light, then go with this one:

EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight IR 5.4mm–135mm Va
I was looking at that 1/1.8" one. I think I will get that one instead, but I have to wait for a sale.