IPC-HDBW4300R-Z user guide?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got one of these Dahua IPC-HDBW4300R-Z dome cameras, looks very nice, the zoom works good using SmartPSS and on my iPad with iDMSSHD Lite. Haven't seen the IR function yet though. The zoom is kinda slow and the auto focus takes a few seconds to tune in, so it wouldn't be great for quick zooming in on someone. Otherwise, seems great for areas you don't know what size lens to install.

It didn't come with any user guides and can't find one on Dahua's website. I cant figure out how to take it apart to aim the gimbal. Ideas?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got one of these Dahua IPC-HDBW4300R-Z dome cameras, looks very nice, the zoom works good using SmartPSS and on my iPad with iDMSSHD Lite. Haven't seen the IR function yet though. The zoom is kinda slow and the auto focus takes a few seconds to tune in, so it wouldn't be great for quick zooming in on someone. Otherwise, seems great for areas you don't know what size lens to install.

It didn't come with any user guides and can't find one on Dahua's website. I cant figure out how to take it apart to aim the gimbal. Ideas?
I have the IPC-HDBW2300R-Z and it came with a small allen wrench to remove the 3 screws holding the cover on.

Chadi

n3wb
Reaction score
Want to buy this one for a neighbour . You know wheter you can fix the zoom . So stay zoomed at 6mm or 8mm or not?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, I can adjust the zoom and it will stay where I set it

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's better than the cheaper ones because it adjusts it's brightness automatically. Like if it's looking far away and someone walks into view closer, it will dim the ir so as not to white out facial features.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you post a sample video of the camera in action to youtube for us?

I am considering replacing one of my cams with the bullet version of this, does this let you setup zoom presets? could you try these api commands and see if they zoom all the way in/out?
Code:
ZoomIn - http://<ip>/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=start&channel=0&code=ZoomTele&arg1=0&arg2=10&arg3=0
ZoomOut - http://<ip>/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=start&channel=0&code=ZoomWide&arg1=0&arg2=10&arg3=0
GoToPreset #1 - http://<ip>/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=start&channel=0&code=GotoPreset&arg1=0&arg2=1&arg3=0
Right now I have a camera looking at a trashcan and trailer, not much interesting going on there so id rather use a 12mm and get a view of the front yard instead of the side.. but I'd like to zoom all the way out when the gate opens up or my trailer's alarm is triggered.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd love to but I just moved and haven't set up at the new house yet.

i don't know how to do those commands...

also it may not be the best cam to zoom on a trigger if it could, because the auto focus takes 5-10 sec to focus after the zoom changes and by that time, whatever triggered it would be out of view.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10s really? wow thats brutal, I could handle 3-5s.. perhaps the bullet is quicker than the turret..

really though I can work with that, my trailer is locked and docked to a steel pole cemented into the ground.. and I have a PTZ that can see the gate in question in a few seconds and a fixed camera also in the area.. the only thing this camera could see that none of the others can is the trailer its self, and nobody's going to get into my trailer in less than 10s.

the camera this would be replacing has the worst image quality of all my cams, and it has not caught a single thing in 2 years on film other than one time the neighbor girl's boyfriend was tossing pebbles at her bedroom window... my trailer has reflectors on it and they fuck with the image at night, so if I zoom past the trailer into the front yard It'll not have to deal with reflectors most of the time.

Attached is a screen cap of my existing camera, you can see where most of the real activity is on the sidewalk/front yard and its simply too far away for this image to be useful until someone is right ontop of my trailer.

those commands I posted you just put into your web browser, replace the <ip> with the real IP and hit enter.. IIRC it should simply open a window that says 'OK' and you see it react on the video stream, but if it dont react or replies with an error then it didnt work..

If it supports presets you might be able to turn off auto focus and just setup manually focused presets, it should change between views much quicker.

Attachments

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of these. Mine is an HFW4300R-Z. (Not a clue what the difference is between the HFW and the HDBW) But regardless, I tried the commands you listed and it returned an error. I do not see any presets in the camera settings when you log directly into the camera either.)

I don't have any vids on Youtube, but I have one on my Google Drive that you are welcome to take a look at. This one was recorded today at 20FPS, 3MP. Its fairly short (5 secs) But it gives you a rough idea. Its zoomed in roughly 2/3 of the way, and focused roughly at the gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwfli5CFPauLYmZSaHRhRmtNZGs

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for testing that, I suspected the API would be different... I'll figure it out, if it zooms in smartPSS there has to be a way.

I could not get the video to work.. You have the bullet version right and not the turret? does it also take forever (5-10s) to refocus?

As long as the image quality is as good as my HFW4300S I think I'll give it a go.. my existing camera is a HFW2200S and I want to move it into the garage to watch the cat door.. so worst case it'll zoom it in where i want with the frame, and check in on the trailer manually when I need to.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why the vid didn't work. I just tried it from a different machine and it's there. I've uploaded it to Youtube.

Image quality is in line with the rest of the 4300 series cams. (I have 2 of the zooms, and 7 of the 4300 series non zoom turrets)

Yes. The clip I posted is from the bullet version. And yes, the zoom and refocus are both slow. There is an adjustment slider for speeds for both, however it doesn't seem to really make much of a difference. Its got an autofocus routine in there as well that will swing from end to end when you adjust the zoom, which I find a bit annoying. I'm using it as a fixed camera essentially. I mounted it and then dialed in where I wanted the frame to be. I'm using it for monitoring my entry gate, as well as keeping an eye on the traffic driving past. (We are on a dirt road that's posted for 15mph, and almost no one actually drives the proper speed. As my cam is straight on to my gate, its a simple bit of math to calculate speeds for the speeders to prove that I'm not exaggerating how bad it is. So far the top speed I've clocked is slightly over 50.)

Its a nice camera, but in practice with the speeds of the zoom and the focus, it seems to be really designed as a set and forget for situations where one of the stock lenses doesn't cover what you need.

My next cam is going to be a nice PTZ so I can get better detail on vehicles and people at the gate as well as having the ability to check other areas of the property that are not currently covered with a fixed cam.

If you need any other info, please dont hesitate to ask. :) I have a pretty simple system, but I'll help where I can.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cheers, thanks.. this thread is like the only place with any info on these... I think it'll be a fine upgrade for my HFW2200S, and for under $100 I can cope with the poor motorized implementation. Reminds me alot of my 3MP dahua pan/tilt that just seemed to have the pant/tilt poorly tacked on, not comparable in performance/features to any of my nicer dahua PTZ's.

you do get what you pay for, thanks for letting me know to aim low.. Its not anymore than a 4300S locally and thats what I was going to upgrade it to; worst case when my trailer is hooked up to my car and we are on vacation I can zoom in on the front yard and not leave it recording an empty patch valueless of grass for a few weeks.. I have no windows or anything on that side of the house, so with no trailer its not protecting anything.

Trailer had to sit in my driveway for a few months this last winter because I used it over thanksgiving and came home to too much snow to move the trailer back over here.. so until everything melted a few weeks ago this camera was largely useless.. and that got me thinking one of these motorized 4300 models might be just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad it helped. :) When I got mine, there wasn't much of anything out anywhere on these in general. I wasn't really expecting anything really amazing. The image quality looked nice, and I figured if I could zoom it to better crop my shot, then it would work. :) I haven't been upset with the camera at all. I just treat it like a fixed cam and set it and forget it. :) It just sits there and hums along with no drama or intervention needed from me.

When I get closer to ordering a PTZ, if you dont mind, I may pick your brain a little since you have some experience with them. :)

Have a great night!