IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A.

The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this issue. I factory reset it and upgraded to the latest firmware.

Has anyone experienced this? Day only makes me think the cam is getting overloaded somehow.

And what are your general thoughts on this camera? I like the flashing lights for deterrence and the two way mic. The image quality doesn't seem as good as my IPC-HDW5831R-ZE.

The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is in the bottom right (full color trees)

cams.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The HDW5831R-ZE has a slightly larger sensor than the HDW3849H so that is probably why it looks just a little better, but neither one should have 8MP on that size sensor. The current king (but may be displaced soon) is 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor.

Weird that it would reboot during the day and not the night.

Maybe try running a slower FPS and see if that clears up enough CPU - maybe more motion in the day is taxing out the CPU. I have seen it happen and lowering the FPS usually brings it back functional.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you having the cam write to an SD card? If so, the issue may be that the card is getting full. I have had that problem and just reformatted the card and all was fine.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No. I'm writing directly to my NAS on motion only. I do this with all cams in my pic above and none of them have any issue.

And here's a day time pic...

Attachments

Reaction score
Most of the time here when someone reports intermittent cams and reboots, it is due to connectivity issues. Either a bad cable or connector. Did you properly weatherproof the connection? Did you terminate the cable yourself or is it pre-made?

Try bringing it down and plug directly into your POE switch with a fresh, pre-made, short cable. See if the issue stops.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@samplenhold I had another Dahua camera on the same connection in the same spot. I replaced it with this newer model. I never had issues with the old camera and I do not believe it to be an issue with the connection at all -- I had professional installation of cat6 in a brad new home. All cams work fine and the old cam in this same spot never had issues.

I've ordered another cam and will swap it in here soon and that will definitely

Reaction score
Just because you never had issues before does not mean that, over time, temp and humidity did not degrade your connection. It is cheaper to pull the cam in and test it on a fresh, clean cable than it is to buy a new cam.

You asked for help. You can blow off the recommendations if you like, but then why ask for help?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold I had another Dahua camera on the same connection in the same spot. I replaced it with this newer model. I never had issues with the old camera and I do not believe it to be an issue with the connection at all -- I had professional installation of cat6 in a brad new home. All cams work fine and the old cam in this same spot never had issues.

I've ordered another cam and will swap it in here soon and that will definitely
The old versus new doesn't mean much - the older camera could have been more tolerable to a faulty connection than a newer cam. The newer cam could be pulling more power than the older camera and what is being fed to it and the daytime and motion is consuming more power, especially since that camera doesn't have IR so the power draw at night would be less than most cameras.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@samplenhold im sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. I’m definitely going to try it once I swap in the new cam. Thanks again for all the help from all of you.

what’s weird is that when the lights are on at night I have non issues. Only during the day.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The new cam is in and it is working without issue. Tomorrow I'm going to setup the camera which I believe is defective outside at another location on a completely different cat6 run.

I currently have it connected to my switch on a short cable and don't see any issue but that matches what I'd expect -- no issues when there's no information density on screen. Outside during the day, high information density with tree leaves etc moving. Will follow up with what I find out tomorrow.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered two of these cams. I just connected the 2nd cam and it has the same issues. I believe there’s a flaw with the camera hardware or firmware. The issue only happens when there’s high information density being recorded, for example when pointed at trees. Inside I have no issues. Both cams exhibit the same behavior. See the attached screen recording of how the cam does a flicker.

I’m opening a dispute and returning the cams. My 10+ other dahua cams do not have these issues.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the POE capacity of your NVR? Maybe you are at the rated capacity of the POE or close to it and this camera is more sensitive to the fluctuations?

Or maybe you are running the camera at it's capacity and it can't keep up.

Just because these cameras are capable of a certain FPS doesn't mean we should run them at that. You are probably running this camera at capacity and the little CPU bugs out at 100% and that is just enough to cause issues.

Try dropping the FPS down to 10FPS and 2048 bitrate and no other options running like multiple IVS rules and see if it still suffers.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj I can't thank you enough for you taking your time to help so many of us. You are obviously and expert in this area and it is really kind of you to take your time and help random strangers.

The switch is pretty powerful - NETGEAR 26-Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS724TPP) - 24 x PoE+ @ 380W

I lowered the framerate and bit rate. I'll report back.

Do you know what "Smart Codec" is? The supplier told me to disable it, but with it on, the flicker seems to go away.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using an NVR, the Smart Codec is probably ok to use - it is another component to compression and storage savings but Blue Iris and some NVRs do not like it.

Does the problem persist with Smart Codec disabled?

I would recommend trying the antiflicker option first.

Hopefully the lower framerate works - if so, bump it up until the problem happens. You can get by with 12-15 FPS.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj I don’t use an nvr. I have an “unraid” storage array. I configure the cams to write out the videos and jpegs to my storage when there’s motion.
Home Assistant monitors for new files and will run them through DeepStack to detect humans. If a humans is found, I get the image sent to my telegram and also as a push notification to my phone.

the problem did persist with smart codec disabled. So far things look better with the lower framerate and lower bit rate.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - ok - so I guess then you are ok with smart codec.

Fingers crossed the lower framerates and bit rate help. Now just slowly bring up if you see a quality issue. I think 12-15FPS and up to 8192 should be ok, but I wanted to try it on the low end to confirm if that was the issue.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's my router POE usage. It's running two access points and several cameras. Hardly using any power at all given the number of devices I have connected.

1615668140548.png

With these settings I'm still running into issues...

1615668363509.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my router POE usage. It's running two access points and several cameras. Hardly using any power at all given the number of devices I have connected.

View attachment 84570

With these settings I'm still running into issues...

View attachment 84571
I- Frame intervals should be between 1 and 3 times your frame rate. 150 is really high.