IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4 (stock) firmware

DanSan

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently upgraded a few Dahua cameras (IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4) to the latest available version on the Dahua website (IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV - Dahua Technology). Everything works mostly good, except I have been noticing that FTP offloading of snapshots seems to stop after either so much time or so many "General" snapshots.

I've scoured as much of duckduckgo and google as I've been able, searching for "DH_IPC-HX3XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.120.0000000.23" but I cannot find it. The version 23 is the stock firmware that came on the cameras.

Anyone around have a copy of this one? I've also reached out to my seller, no word back as of yet.

I have a few of these cameras, all on version 34 (DH_IPC-HX3XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.120.0000000.34.R.230715).

crosis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious. How are u liking the camera? I'm considering getting one to monitor a region between 3 ft to 20 ft -- hopefully Identification quality with the 3.6mm lens. My understanding is it comes with dual lights -- white light and IR -- and is able to watch in IR until motion is detected at which time it can switch on the white light? Any issues with straight IR at a distance?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious. How are u liking the camera? I'm considering getting one to monitor a region between 3 ft to 20 ft -- hopefully Identification quality with the 3.6mm lens. My understanding is it comes with dual lights -- white light and IR -- and is able to watch in IR until motion is detected at which time it can switch on the white light? Any issues with straight IR at a distance?
I personally don't like the white light quality at night. Motion has more blur under white light than IR.
The flashing red/blue lights also make the video horrible when in white light mode.

This is a camera designed to detect a person and deter, not to get details.

The black pole seen on the right of the video is the stand holding this camera up:

I've got video with me holding a sign to edit together and then I'll make a new thread about the updated version (there has been many changes since the first TiOC).

DanSan

n3wb
Reaction score
I like it. Works good for what I want.

Already, on these new cameras, did I capture an event that happened last week: a police chase ending in my driveway.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't like the white light quality at night. Motion has more blur under white light than IR.
The flashing red/blue lights also make the video horrible when in white light mode.

This is a camera designed to detect a person and deter, not to get details.

The black pole seen on the right of the video is the stand holding this camera up:

I've got video with me holding a sign to edit together and then I'll make a new thread about the updated version (there has been many changes since the first TiOC).
@Mark_M - unless significant improvements have been made, many have also seen issues with this model.

But you are right, it wasn't designed for details, it was designed around "active deterrence"

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long from a details performance perspective.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...

DanSan

n3wb
Reaction score
The consistent issue with this camera that I have been noticing is the offloading of Timed snapshots (600 sec/10 minutes), where after some time it stops sending them to my NAS. Magically upon a reboot, it seems to resume.

Even if I rebooted two in the same location, they will eventually stop sending images over local FTP: the two cameras don't even stop doing this at the same time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The consistent issue with this camera that I have been noticing is the offloading of Timed snapshots (600 sec/10 minutes), where after some time it stops sending them to my NAS. Magically upon a reboot, it seems to resume.

Even if I rebooted two in the same location, they will eventually stop sending images over local FTP: the two cameras don't even stop doing this at the same time.
Is it at least 24 hours apart where you could set up a daily reboot?

DanSan

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it at least 24 hours apart where you could set up a daily reboot?
No. Some seem to run for 5 hours before succumbing, others later. A camera that needs a daily reboot, that's pushing it for me.

In the grand scheme of things, I could totally go without doing it. In fact, I could perhaps try photos over SMB, but that will have to wait for now.

I was pretty sure that going to stock firmware would alleviate the issue, but it doesn't seem to help any.

UPDATE:
I am doing some deeper digging. I have a hunch that the FTP may be crapping out because of the encoding scheme settings for the camera.

I am using H264H with bit rate set to 10240 (10mp), down from 12288 (12mp). I usually dial any of the cameras up more: maybe it's overkill and unnecessary. I did have the third stream configured, which it is now off. I have five of them, so I'm going to see how they respond going forward.

Two cameras will be dialed down to 8192 bit rates.

Last edited:

biglia

n3wb
Reaction score

DanSan

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the PDF online for release notes...

Then here's the link to the firmware:
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/uploads/cpq/SWR/2185608/M/DH_IPC-HX3XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.120.0000000.23.R.230515.zip

I would apply similar logic to "DH_IPC-HX3XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.120.0000000.34" which would be searching for this, finding the PDF, and working out a similar URL adaptation.

Hot dig... it worked for that one too.