IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE stops recording every day, overwrite not working??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may have spoken too soon. At least one of my cameras is not showing all events even when queried by what I thought was the "good" version listed above. For what it's worth, version V1.x of SmartPSS definitely works on all cameras. So I'll keep investigating, but I'm convinced something in V2.002 has a problem when looking for all events.
Smart PSS has been buggy as all get out for some time.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed when using it as the VMS/recorder, but as just a monitoring tool and using it for playback and adjusting most settings, it works good.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't figure out why something as fundamental as searching for records to playback doesn't work reliably (but it doesn't), also thinking that more of the rest of you would be having the same problems. I've installed (multiple times) on two different Windows 10 computers, and both exhibit the exact same behavior so I don't believe the problem is as simple as a bad install. I need/intend to look at the APIs going to the cameras to see what might be different.

I did install the v1.x of SmartPSS on both computers and it works (to search/filter recordings) 100% of the time with zero problems. I'd prefer to use version 2.x because version 1.x doesn't support things like IVS, but my workaround is to keep using version 1.x until magically Dahua releases a new version.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed when using it as the VMS/recorder, but as just a monitoring tool and using it for playback and adjusting most settings, it works good.
I've had problems with it either, the setting isn't available in SPSS, or the setting does exist and it doesn't do anything. This varies with the camera model.
YMMV

Last edited:

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to use WireShark to get a clue for what's going on. I see a series of communication between SmartPSS and my cameras with the following json:
Code:
{ "id" : 209175, "method" : "mediaFileFind.findNextFile", "object" : 1938398168, "params" : { "count" : 32, "object" : 1938398168, "this" : 1938398168 }, "session" : 2147483641 }
Based on that, it appears that SmartPSS may be asking for the list of events, 32 at a time, starting at the specified event/object. Normally any such code would loop until all events in the filter have been retrieved, but I'm going to make a wild guess that SmartPSS might have a "max" number of times that it will ask for 32 events, rather than looping until it receives all events.

Today SmartPSS refused to return events after about 3pm. Right now I have my "Pack Duration" set to 2 so I get slightly smaller files to download, and today there was a lot of motion & IVS events. I'm going to try changing my pack duration to 5 so I should get fewer than 1/2 of the general recording events and see if that makes a difference tomorrow.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I still haven't figured this out, but I thought a video/screen recording of what I'm seeing might be useful to others if they encounter something similar. At this point I should probably rename this thread to be "SmartPSS doesn't list all events", but I'm not sure if/how I can do that. If it is possible, would someone please let me know.

Drift Video : SmartPSS simply not showing all events