IPC-HDW5231-R-Z security settings

mdm

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, thanks to lots of help from this group, I have my first camera up. My setup is:
FIOS<-Asus RT-AC66U_B1 router<-unmanaged switch<-IPC-HDW5231-R-Z cam plus my PC running BI is also on the switch.

My question is: what steps do I need to take to keep my system as secure as possible? Here is what I have done thus far based on what I have seen posted here.
  • I am setting up openVPN on via the ASUS for remote viewing (no port forwards)
  • I changed the default cam login info.
  • Changed the passwords on the ASUS router
Are there any camera settings to adjust? Any other tips?
Thanks everyone

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you could isolate the cams from the internet completely. This can be done by adding a second nic to your BI machine and keeping the cams on that nic. Or you could create a vlan for the cams and the BI machine. A quick way to accomplish this would be to disable internet access in your router for the cams. Not sure if the 66 has that feature. Also some folks will change the cams default gateway to it's own ip address so it can't find the router. Downside is the cams use the internet for time sync so you will have to run a local time server on your pc and configure cams to go there.

Lots of this covered here. Search is your friend.

Reactions: mdm

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
AC66 should let you disable clients.

Disable UPnP on the router.
Make sure that remote admin is off on the router.
Turn off telnet on the router if enabled and just flip in on/off as you need it.
Turn off IPv6 on the router if not needed.

Turn off UPnP and P2P (EasyIP I think for Dauha) on the cam.