(IPC-HDW5231R-Z) Anyone have an issue with intermittent scratchy mic?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 3 IPC-HDW5231R-Z and one of them gives me an intermittent scratchy mic. I defaulted all the setting for audio from the cam interface but nothing changed. My settings are the exact same as the other 2 same model cameras. I cut off the NVR end of the ethernet and put a new end on to see if maybe I had a bad connection on this end but nothing changed. The next thing I guess I will try is pulling the camera and making a new connection on the other end. Any other suggestions??

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you turn off the noise reduction in the cams audio setup.
Yes, the noise filter Is off. The mic is also all the way up which sounded great before this scratchy sound. As I stated before, my two other same model cameras are perfect. If it was a blown mic (if that's even possible) would it be scratchy all the time, like a blown speaker?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the noise filter Is off. The mic is also all the way up which sounded great before this scratchy sound. As I stated before, my two other same model cameras are perfect. If it was a blown mic (if that's even possible) would it be scratchy all the time, like a blown speaker?
I would take the cam apart and check all internal wiring connections.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot. Gonna have to wait until next weekend though.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, it records the audio with the scratchyness. I'm wondering if the mic is bad.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, to be a little more clear. The recorded audio is the same as the live. Good audio with intermittent scratching

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I actually got around to taking the cam down. I took it apart and while watching the live feed jiggled the mic wires to see if maybe there was a break... Didn't seem to be. Also, I moved the if wires and the moisture packets away from the mic wires as any slightest rub against those mic wires causes that scratching noise. I just got it back up so we will see if that fixes the issue. My feeling is, that the mic may have been damaged because that camera resides on the wide open, windy side of the house.

Last edited: