IPC-HDW5231R-Z dead

jamesaston

n3wb
Reaction score
Was very happy with 4 of my IPC-HDW5231R-Z for a few years, but one stopped working, no connection at all. Any suggestion on fixing it or just dump it and get its successor?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was very happy with 4 of my IPC-HDW5231R-Z for a few years, but one stopped working, no connection at all. Any suggestion on fixing it or just dump it and get its successor?
What have you tried to narrow down anything such as:
  • How is the cam powered ?
  • Have you confirmed there's no corrosion inside the cam's pigtail where the RJ-45 male plugs in?

jamesaston

n3wb
Reaction score
Nothing seems to be out of ordinary at the first glance, powered by POE and the cable looks clean. Should I try external power? If so, what kind of adapter would I need?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If it unfortunately turns out that it is dead... Let me know if you want to get rid of the mount and shell. I cross-threaded the screw on one of mine and I can't get it tapped right again. Been trying to find the shell to one.

^ Circling like a vulture. ; )

Last edited:
Reaction score
So what do you mean by 'dead'? Are you using an NVR?

Do you mean that you see no video on the NVR or BI? Can you log in to it via the browser? Can you ping it and get a response? Do you see any response from the POE or ACT lights on the POE switch? Have you tried moving the ethernet cable to a different port? Have you tried a different cam on that POE port?

Have you tried a hard reset at the cam?

jamesaston

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI. Can't get an IP and no lights. Tried all of the above, except hard reset as I have no power.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a 12V DC power supply? It's a barrel connector but I don't recall the size.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Take the cam down and plug into a POE port with a patch cable, if the cam goes online, change connectors on the cable, if still doesn't work change the cable.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, that's a shame.

; )

Seriously, don't toss that thing. I can send you a prepaid label if you don't have some other reason to keep it around.

jamesaston

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny thing is, the other 3 fully exposed to elements and work great, this one was installed under a patio cover and dry all the time. Eh, what can you do... Already ordered 5442 from Andy.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been looking for a carcass forever. Keep intending to post asking if anyone had one laying around.

Not hard to get these apart. If I remember right there are two boards inside. If you could find another that's not working in some other way, could swap in whichever board has the power side on it. Kind of a hard thing to find though. Don't think Dahua sells any replacement components like that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that's a shame.

; )

Seriously, don't toss that thing. I can send you a prepaid label if you don't have some other reason to keep it around.
You next door neighbor reported that you were on your patio this afternoon burning incense and sticking pins into what looks like an IP camera carved out of balsa wood? :idk: