IPC-HDW5231R-Z semi-bricked - can ping and upgrade firmware but can't login

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was viewing the live video feed of my IPC-HDW5231R-Z via the web interface when all of a sudden the feed dropped and I couldn't access the page any longer. I pulled the Ethernet cord out of the camera and let it reboot. I could ping the camera's IP, but couldn't access the UI.

I then did a factory reset (by taking the body apart and holding the button for 30 seconds) and tried accessing the default IP (192.168.1.108). Again, I could ping the camera, but that was it.

I downloaded the ConfigTool and what I think is the latest firmware (the NTSC version from here: IPC-HDW5231R-Z,IPC HDW5231R Z,IPCHDW5231RZ).

The ConfigTool will not detect the camera, but if I go to Login, enter the IP, and change the port to 3800 I can go through the firmware-update process.

The firmware appears to update successfully, but I can still never log in to the UI. I can ping the camera, but I can't get any farther than that. I have tried power-cycling and updating the firmware several times.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I sure didn't. :( I have the bricked camera stored in a closet right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see more reports of bricked international versions . it would be better if i would have bought the cheap chinese versions
stop posting misinformation....what does "more reports" even mean..point me to all the reports of bricked cameras...you cant because you are full of crap...this camera is the most popular camera on the forum and for good reason. you simply dont know what you are talking about....the china region cameras are inferior, are not starlights (poor low light performace) and cannot be firmware upgraded. If OP would have purchased from a reliable seller they would have fixed the issue. You have no clue. Perhaps you should hang around for more than 2 days before making false statements. Perhaps a hacked china camera is the best choice for you since it is evident that you dont have a clue.

Last edited:

Bravo79

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was viewing the live video feed of my IPC-HDW5231R-Z via the web interface when all of a sudden the feed dropped and I couldn't access the page any longer. I pulled the Ethernet cord out of the camera and let it reboot. I could ping the camera's IP, but couldn't access the UI.

I then did a factory reset (by taking the body apart and holding the button for 30 seconds) and tried accessing the default IP (192.168.1.108). Again, I could ping the camera, but that was it.

I downloaded the ConfigTool and what I think is the latest firmware (the NTSC version from here: IPC-HDW5231R-Z,IPC HDW5231R Z,IPCHDW5231RZ).

The ConfigTool will not detect the camera, but if I go to Login, enter the IP, and change the port to 3800 I can go through the firmware-update process.

The firmware appears to update successfully, but I can still never log in to the UI. I can ping the camera, but I can't get any farther than that. I have tried power-cycling and updating the firmware several times.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
Try holding the reset button for more than 30 seconds try 3 minutes you should be able to see the green light go off and on a couple of times. Looks like your settings is still there so the reset was not done correctly. And after that you should find it in configtool and initialize it it.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What region of firmware are you trying to use?
Also, when you say you tried to log-in, how were you trying to login? Were you using the browser? Is it possible you have an IP conflict with some other device using 192.168.1.108? That would explain getting a ping response, just not from the device you think is responding.
Were you using a static address before or a reservation?