IPC-HDW5231R-Z Settings help

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

So i have managed to install 3 out of the 6 cameras running all default at moment.

Am i best configuring the image directly on the camera or via the NVR? If directly will the NVR overwrite it?

Any pointers in terms of frame rates, bit rates, and compression?

Can anyone share their settings they found best for them which might give me a head start.

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

So i have managed to install 3 out of the 6 cameras running all default at moment.

Am i best configuring the image directly on the camera or via the NVR? If directly will the NVR overwrite it?

Can anyone share their settings they found best for them which might give me a head start.

Thanks
15fps, 4096 bit rate is usually sufficient.
I don't have an NVR so I can't say.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Jesd03,
I haven't had problems with config settings getting overwritten, whether I config the cam directly or through the NVR. Except if you have a browser open to the cam while simultaneously confiiguring the NVR (with a browser, or the native UI).

That said, there are times when you'll need to config the cam directly. Some cam features can't be configured from the NVR, such as certain image adjustments. Or if the cam is varifocal, setting the zoom (FOV).

Keep experimenting! Good luck!

Fastb

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have issues where when working with the cam directly it will reboot suddenly whilst doing changes, is this normal?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
when working with the cam directly it will reboot suddenly whilst doing changes
Not at all normal.
So it runs solidly, except when working with the cam "directly"? What does "directly" mean? Is there a different hardware setup? eg: camera removed from POE cable, connected to a PC, and using a 12V power supply for the camera?

Looney2ns offers good guidance. And in addition to cable & power supply, study what is different when working with the "cam directly"

Fastb

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not at all normal.
So it runs solidly, except when working with the cam "directly"? What does "directly" mean? Is there a different hardware setup? eg: camera removed from POE cable, connected to a PC, and using a 12V power supply for the camera?

Looney2ns offers good guidance. And in addition to cable & power supply, study what is different when working with the "cam directly"

Fastb
Same setup connected to NVR. I mean directly as in setting up via IP address rather than NVR.

I suspect cabling too so will do the crimping again and test it out with the tools.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks
I do all my configuring directly from the camera web GUI. There are settings only available from there that aren't accessible through the NVR. The NVR will overwrite the settings if they can be changed, but only if you change them.

@looney2ns gave you a great starting point for FPS and bitrates, which is where I run mine. I like the H.265 compression rate. 6 cameras at these settings, all with sub-streams enabled, and 8TB of storage gives me 30 days of history. A bit of overkill, so it won't matter when I add my 7th camera for a blind spot I want to cover. I'd say shoot for 10 - 14 days minimum history for storage. H.265 compression will give you the most efficient storage per cam and TB of hard drive space.

I have about 20 of these I've set up and help administer for myself, neighbors and customers. Most everything is default, but I'll fill you in on what I've changed and like to run.

Camera->Conditions: I run Day mode 24/7 on all settings below, Normal & Night set to defaults:
Picture (Normal, Day & Night) all at default settings, 50 of 100
Exposure (Normal, Day & Night) Anti Flicker = Auto; Mode = Auto; Auto Iris = On; 3D NR = On; Grade = 50
Backlight (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Off
White Balance (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Auto
Day and Night; Day = Color
IR Light (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Smart IR

Camera->Video (There are 5 tabs, Video, Snapshot, Overlay, ROI and Path. I only edit the Video tab. All others left at default.)
Video: (Main Stream) Encode = H.265; Smart Codec = Off; Resolution = 1080P; Frame Rate = 15; Bit Rate Type = CBR; Bit Rate = 4096; I Frame Interval= 30; Watermark Settings = Checked; Watermark = *****
Video: (Sub Stream) = Enable; Encode = H.265; Resolution = D1; Frame Rate = 15; Bit Rate Type = CBR; Bit Rate = 1024; I Frame Interval= 30;
(Note: Some will set their I Frame Interval = to their Frame Rate FPS. I like the compression efficiency of a double I-Frame interval, but that's just me)
Audio: Main Stream = Enable; Encode Mode = G.711A: Sampling Frequency = 16k;
Sub Stream 1 = Enable; Encode Mode = G.711A: Sampling Frequency = 16k;
(Note: Sub Stream enabled so when viewing from phone or tablet, you can hear noise. You don't need the main stream when using a phone or tablet. It's overkill, but you can choose it if you like on your device/app.)
Attribute: Audio In = Mic; Noise Filter = Disable; Mic Volume = 100

That should get you heading in the right direction. The other menu settings can come from individual questions as needed. It would take me about another 2 hours to give you every individual setting and why the need for it. A couple things I will mention:

Network->TCP/IP: I use a static configuration on my home subnet for each camera and the NVR. This is more of an advanced setup as I like to access the cams Web GUI directly from any workstation in my home. Even though I have a 16 port POE NVR, I use none of the POE ports. I have a managed switch and midspan to power the cameras, allowing all of them to be on my home network's subnet of 192.168.1.X. It's better as the NVR will re-assign the cameras to it's internal switch's subnet, which cannot be the same as your home subnet. This protects the network of cams, but limits the functionality of the cameras administration through the NVR.

Network->Connection: I change the default TCP & UDP port to something unique between 1025 and 65534. I feel safer than leaving it at the default. It's just my own practice to do so.

Network->Bonjour: Insure this is not enabled

Event->Video Detection = Enabled
Event->Video Detection Record = Enabled

Event->Smart Plan = IVS (selected if you want to use Intelligent Video (recommended))

Event->IVS: This would take another 2 hours to type the intricacies of IVS, so just start playing with it if you choose to use it (again, recommended)

Storage->Schedule->Record Schedule: All days and hours should be selected. Sunday through Saturday + Holiday with General, Motion and Alarm all ticked.
Storage->Destination->Path Tab->Record: Event Type:Local; Tick the Scheduled, Motion Detection and Alarm boxes.

Storage->Record Control: Pack Duration = 8; Pre-event record = 5; Disk Full = Overwrite; Record Mode = Auto; Record Stream = Main Stream

System->General->Date & Time Tab: You need to set this up fully, and all your cams need to match, along with your NVR or the times of recording will be off and different. If an event occurs, it will confuse your research and ability to find the disturbance. Pick a Date Format, a Time Format and enter your Time Zone. Sync it with your PC. Enable Daylight Saving Time (DST) if applicable, and set the dates up for your region. I Synchronize with an NTP server, and use time.windows.com on port 123. I set the update period to 10 minutes. I cannot stress this enough that each of your individual cams along with your NVR NEED to share this information exactly within their menus and setups.

Ok, that should be enough to digest for a while. I'm sure you will have questions. There is a ton more to learn about these cameras. Here's a snapshot of the front of the house, with a couple tripwires set up. Plenty of ambient light for the Starlight sensors, hence the forced 24/7 Day mode.

SD
5231 Front Snapshot.jpg

Last edited:

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No.
Check your power source and network cable. If you made the cable test with a factory built cable.
Was a cabling issue, tester showed i had missed a connection, i thought by now i would be an expert but maybe not must always test, re-crimped and all good now.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do all my configuring directly from the camera web GUI. There are settings only available from there that aren't accessible through the NVR. The NVR will overwrite the settings if it can change, but only if you change them.

@looney2ns gave you a great starting point for FPS and bitrates, which is where I run mine. I like the H.265 compression rate. 6 cameras at these settings with 8TB of storage gives me 30 days of history. A bit of overkill, so it won't matter when I add my 7th camera for a blind spot I want to cover. I'd say shoot for 10 - 14 days minimum history for storage. H.265 compression will give you the most efficient storage per cam and TB of hard drive space.

I have about 20 of these I've set up and help administer for myself, neighbors and customers. Most everything is default, but I'll fill you in on what I've changed and like to run.

Camera->Conditions: I run Day mode 24/7 on all settings below, Normal & Night set to defaults:
Picture (Normal, Day & Night) all at default settings, 50 of 100
Exposure (Normal, Day & Night) Anti Flicker = Auto; Mode = Auto; Auto Iris = On; 3D NR = On; Grade = 50
Backlight (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Off
White Balance (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Auto
Day and Night; Day = Color
IR Light (Normal, Day & Night) Mode = Smart IR

Camera->Video (There are 5 tabs, Video, Snapshot, Overlay, ROI and Path. I only edit the Video tab. All others left at default.)
Video: (Main Stream) Encode = H.265; Smart Codec = Off; Resolution = 1080P; Frame Rate = 15; Bit Rate Type = CBR; Bit Rate = 4096; I Frame Interval= 30; Watermark Settings = Checked; Watermark = *****
Video: (Sub Stream) = Enable; Encode = H.265; Resolution = D1; Frame Rate = 15; Bit Rate Type = CBR; Bit Rate = 1024; I Frame Interval= 30;
(Note: Some will set their I Frame Interval = to their Frame Rate FPS. I like the compression efficiency of a double I-Frame interval, but that's just me)
Audio: Main Stream = Enable; Encode Mode = G.117A: Sampling Frequency = 16k;
Sub Stream 1 = Enable; Encode Mode = G.117A: Sampling Frequency = 16k;
(Note: Sub Stream enabled so when viewing from phone or tablet, you can hear noise. You don't need the main stream when using a phone or tablet. It's overkill, but you can choose it if you like on your device/app.)
Attribute: Audio In = Mic; Noise Filter = Disable; Mic Volume = 100

That should get you heading in the right direction. The other menu settings can come from individual questions as needed. It would take me about another 2 hours to give you every individual setting and why the need for it. A couple things I will mention:

Network->TCP/IP: I use a static configuration for each camera and the NVR. This is more of an advanced setup as I like to access the cams Web GUI directly from any workstation in my home. Even though I have a 16 port POE NVR, I use none of the POE ports. I have a switch and midspan to power the cameras, allowing all of them to be on my home network's subnet of 192.168.1.X. It's better as the NVR will re-assign the cameras to it's internal switch's subnet, which cannot be the same as your home subnet. This protects the network of cams, but limits the functionality of the cameras administration through the NVR.

Network->Connection: I change the default TCP & UDP port to something unique between 1025 and 65534. I feel safer than leaving it at the default. It's just my own practice to do so.

Network->Bonjour: Insure this is not enabled

Event->Video Detection = Enabled
Event->Video Detection Record = Enabled

Event->Smart Plan = IVS (selected if you want to use Intelligent Video (recommended))

Event->IVS: This would take another 2 hours to type the intricacies of IVS, so just start playing with it if you choose to use it (again, recommended)

Storage->Schedule->Record Schedule: All days and hours should be selected. Sunday through Saturday + Holiday with General, Motion and Alarm all ticked.
Storage->Destination->Path Tab->Record: Event Type:Local; Tick the Scheduled, Motion Detection and Alarm boxes.

Storage->Record Control: Pack Duration = 8; Pre-event record = 5; Disk Full = Overwrite; Record Mode = Auto; Record Stream = Main Stream

System->General->Date & Time Tab: You need to set this up fully, and all your cams need to match, along with your NVR or the times of recording will be off and different. If an event occurs, it will confuse your research and ability to find the disturbance. Pick a Date Format, a Time Format and enter your Time Zone. Sync it with your PC. Enable Daylight Saving Time (DST) if applicable, and set the dates up for your region. I Synchronize with an NTP server, and use time.windows.com on port 123. I set the update period to 10 minutes. I cannot stress this enough that each of your individual cams along with your NVR NEED to share this information exactly within their menus and setups.

Ok, that should be enough to digest for a while. I'm sure you will have questions. There is a ton more to learn about these cameras. Here's a snapshot of the front of the house, with a couple tripwires set up. Plenty of ambient light for the Starlight sensors, hence the forced 24/7 Day mode.

SD
View attachment 27385
Thanks for the detailed explanation very helpful.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to direct the IR light which is at centre by default I believe.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a way to direct the IR light which is at centre by default I believe.
I didn't see where you identified the model of the cam.
In general, the IR can't be aimed. The brightness can be adjusted by the cam "Smart IR" is what I think it's called. This prevents close objects from getting over-exposed.

If you don't like the IR coverage, you can add an auxiliary IR illuminator. Lotsa threads on this forum covers them.

PS: Glad to hear you found the cabling problem....

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
3DNR On, Grade = 5.
Backlight = WDNR 15.
I use same profile (Day) 24 hrs. Day and night.

Encoding
smart codec = off.
FR=15 fps
Quality = 6 (Best)
VBR
Max bit rate = 4096
I Frame rate = 30. Ideal it should match FR i.e. one I frame per second. I frame is full picture like still camera. Rest are B frame i.e. diff from previous I frame.