IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP changed on its own, can't login

gmaxwheel

n3wb
Reaction score
One of my HDW5231R-ZE dropped off my DVR after a couple months running, I thought it was dead but after chasing it down, I discovered that it somehow changed IP to 192.168.1.50 from where it had been running (an an entirely different subnet). It should be running a somewhat older firmware (2.622.0000000.31.R / 2018-08-13). It went intermittently on and off for a few days before dropping out completely.

Unfortunately, I can't log into it to change it back: the webUI comes up but it both rejects the password I set on it (and which the DVR was using) and admin/admin.

Any suggestions? Perhaps other default passwords it might have switched to? (my best guess is that it had some startup issue and fell back to a backup configuration or something like that?)

This particular camera is 30ft up in an inconvenient to reach location, so I'm eager to try some alternatives before climbing up to it. :)

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to provide more info here, What kind of NVR are you using? you said DVR but you must be using a Network Video recorder Correct ?
Was the camera being powered through the NVR?(POE) or are you using a switch, this will make a difference in the route to take to nail this down.

gmaxwheel

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct. My recorder is a dahua NVR608-32-4KS2. The camera is on a fairly boring POE ethernet switch. I know what port it's on.

I don't believe the failure coincided with a power outage on that switch, but I can't be absolutely sure of that (it was a couple months ago, I've been putting off dealing with this due to the camera location, and didn't notice until today when I went to replace another camera that there was something already on 192.168.1/24).

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't log into it to change it back: the webUI comes up but it both rejects the password I set on it (and which the DVR was using) and admin/admin.

Any suggestions? Perhaps other default passwords it might have switched to? (my best guess is that it had some startup issue and fell back to a backup configuration or something like that?)
There is a way to physically reset the camera back to defaults but you'd need to pull the camera down to do that.

With the unknown password and weird IP it sounds like someone may have remotely gotten into the camera and messed around with the config.

gmaxwheel

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a way to physically reset the camera back to defaults but you'd need to pull the camera down to do that.
Yep, I'm aware. I'll go ahead and do that if no other great ideas come up.

With the unknown password and weird IP it sounds like someone may have remotely gotten into the camera and messed around with the config.
Not likely in this case, -- camera network is physically disconnected from the internet. More likely that I somehow did it, though I can't imagine how or why. :)

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I'm aware. I'll go ahead and do that if no other great ideas come up.

Not likely in this case, -- camera network is physically disconnected from the internet. More likely that I somehow did it, though I can't imagine how or why. :)
Sometimes for some reason they do themselves in. Config files can get corrupted with little or no effort. I installed 4 cams a week ago on a building, I had made all the config settings they way I wanted, they were going to be connected this week to a POE NVR through a POE switch, I had everything all set. I had my laptop logged in through the POE switch (Midspan) and all were good last week. Plugged the uplink into the NVR Yesterday and one cam was blank. All three settings in video...brightness contrast and saturation were at 0...picture totally blank. I can tell you I did not mess with it and it was not exposed to the NET.