IPC-HDW5231R-ZE replacement

Lexicon44

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 7 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras from Andy some time ago along with PFA130-E junction boxes. One camera turned off today. I took it off the wall and found the junction box full of water and ice, despite the fact that it's supposed to be waterproof. The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera turns on sometimes, but it's very slow to be detected by the NVR, and much of the time I can't get it to be detected at all, so I'm guessing either it's almost dead or there's a problem with the camera's ethernet cable. I tried resetting it with the reset switch, factory resetting using the web interface, and reloading firmware when it was detected.

Regardless, it's still not behaving like the other cams and most of the time I can't get it to show up in the NVR. In the NVRs PoE section, most of the time it doesn't show any power being drawn by the cam.

I wanted to ask what camera is a suitable replacement for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I want one that also has an SD card slot for backup and that has equally good low-light performance / Starlight. I also would like it to fit onto the PFA130-E junction box if possible, so I don't have to make new holes in the wall.

Is there a camera that meets all of the above, or does Andy or anyone still sell the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE?

Is there a new camera from another manufacturer such as HikVision or anyone else that is now considered to have the best low-light performance? The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cams were thought to be the best in low light a few year ago when I was researching them.

Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Lexicon44

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to be super sure, kindly confirm that both the T3241T-ZAS and the T5442T-ZE are the same size as the old HDW5231R-ZE and will fit without issue onto the PFA130-E junction box.

Thank you both. The camera that failed was in the backyard, so I think I'll take one of the cams from the front of the house and use it in the back, and upgrade to the T5442T-ZE for the front.

Thanks!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to be super sure, kindly confirm that both the T3241T-ZAS and the T5442T-ZE are the same size as the old HDW5231R-ZE and will fit without issue onto the PFA130-E junction box.

Thank you both. The camera that failed was in the backyard, so I think I'll take one of the cams from the front of the house and use it in the back, and upgrade to the T5442T-ZE for the front.

Thanks!
I'm a bit puzzled. You found the junction box full of water and ice so you want to connect the new camera to it? Isn't that a fools errand? Wouldn't you be better off buying a new junction box to be sure?

I'd also consider points such as where the cable entry is on the box to see if I could come up with any other reason as to why water got in. Any box is only as good as the entry points andnot only the seals.

Reaction score
I have replaced one of my HDW5231R-ZE cams with the T5442T-ZE using the same PFA130-E box. Made it very easy to do. The T3241T-ZAS has more or less the specs of the old 5231, but the T5442 is so much better and is comparable in price to the old 5231, it really makes no sense to me to go with the T3241 when the T5442 is available.

My replacement is heads and shoulders better than the old 5231, to the point I am about to replace a second 5231 with the 5442.

Lexicon44

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled. You found the junction box full of water and ice so you want to connect the new camera to it? Isn't that a fools errand? Wouldn't you be better off buying a new junction box to be sure?

I'd also consider points such as where the cable entry is on the box to see if I could come up with any other reason as to why water got in. Any box is only as good as the entry points andnot only the seals.
You make a good point and it’s something I’ve been thinking about. The junction box is mounted vertically on the wall on the first level of the home, so there isn’t much protection from the roof soffit on the second level. I suspect water seeped down the wall and got in behind the junction box and through the back opening where the Ethernet cable enters. Less likely but maybe also possible, the box gets hit with exhaust gases from my furnace, so perhaps water accumulated in there that way over time.

I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the plastic conduit plug at the bottom of the junction box for drainage, or removing the plug entirely. Think this may be a viable solution?

Lexicon44

n3wb
Reaction score
I have replaced one of my HDW5231R-ZE cams with the T5442T-ZE using the same PFA130-E box. Made it very easy to do. The T3241T-ZAS has more or less the specs of the old 5231, but the T5442 is so much better and is comparable in price to the old 5231, it really makes no sense to me to go with the T3241 when the T5442 is available.

My replacement is heads and shoulders better than the old 5231, to the point I am about to replace a second 5231 with the 5442.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered two T5442T-ZE for the front of the house to replace two 5231. I’ll use one of the 5231 to replace the broken one in the backyard and keep one as a spare.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
They're an improvement. You'll be happy. I thought that my 5231s were great at the time. Don't look all that great now in comparison.

Reaction score
When I mounted mine with cable entry from the back, I spread a circle of silicone around the hole I drilled in the siding before I mounted the box. Yet to have any water. Did you use the 'waterproof' connection for the ethernet cable? I use those and put dielectric grease in the socket, then wrap the connection with electrical tape.

Lexicon44

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the cameras installed by someone. I doubt they used silicone around the entry in the back, and I'm quite sure there isn't silicone around the three sides other than the bottom. They did use the waterproof connection for the ethernet cable, however.

As per Murphy's law, the camera that failed is the only one that my ladder barely reaches, so I'm sort of doing a balancing act with my hands above my head trying to work on it. =)

I think I may try a hole in the conduit plug for now, and revisit with silicone if I continue to have an issue. Not the ideal solution, but can you point out anything potentially bad about this option I may be missing? A small hole in the plug should allow drainage, the plug is at the bottom of the junction box so shouldn't allow water to get in, and if the hole is small enough insects shouldn't be an issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy yourself a pound of Duct Seal, available at Lowes or Home Depot, or even from Amazon. Use that behind the PFA130 to seal it to the wall and then make a small "rope" and use that to seal around the outside from the top down at least halfway on both sides. You can also add a plug of it where the cable comes in if it comes in through the back of the box. Duct Seal is pliable down to below zero temperatures, paintable, can be removed without damaging anything and can be reused unlike silicon which is permanent, leaves residue that usually won't hold paint and can cause damage when being removed.

Duct Seal

Reaction score
Putting a small hole to allow for it to drain is an option. Like you said, if it is too small for insects to enter, you should be ok. Since you are working so far over your head, try to caulk, from inside the box, where the wire comes into the box. No need to remove the box then.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You make a good point and it’s something I’ve been thinking about. The junction box is mounted vertically on the wall on the first level of the home, so there isn’t much protection from the roof soffit on the second level. I suspect water seeped down the wall and got in behind the junction box and through the back opening where the Ethernet cable enters. Less likely but maybe also possible, the box gets hit with exhaust gases from my furnace, so perhaps water accumulated in there that way over time.

I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the plastic conduit plug at the bottom of the junction box for drainage, or removing the plug entirely. Think this may be a viable solution?
Did they leave a small loop in the cable behind the box? You always want a drip loop so if water runs eg down a wall onto a cable it runs and drips off the low point of the loop and doesn't just run across the straight cable or worse still a cable where the low point is the back of the box. I'd alos check the rear of the box to see how they made the cable entry. If they used a knockout you probably want a rubber grommet followed by sealant. If they drilled the box, then sealant alone might do but it needs to be properly sealed. I'm a bit surprise the box doesn't have a water drain in the bottom but I'm not familiar with these boxes and if it could freeze before it drained and block the drain then that would explain the build up but not the ingress.

Reaction score
I started a thread with the SAME EXACT question. I deleted it after searching and found this thread.

My situation is slightly different. I still have my HDW 5231R-ZE but I want a second camera. Based on your responses above I think I'll go with the T5442T-ZE. And they have it in black, even better.
So thank you all for the responses, its appreciated. Saved me from a duplicate thread.

Now the one question....sorry to hijack your thread OP, I looked for some FAQ and can't (yet) find information on setting up software to enable live view via wifi/internet. I have blue iris and was hoping to connect both cameras to my router and be able to live view remotely. Can someone point me in the right direction I'm a bit lost. I'm in the Blue Iris section and maybe I'm slow but I can't find any FAQ relating to setting up live view.

Regardless, thank you all for the above responses/suggestions

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use Blue Iris to view it and keep the camera off the internet.

Consumer routers are not made for the continuous data demands of these cameras. They do not buffer like Netflix. Your cameras should either be on a 2nd NIC into the BI computer or VLAN.

You simply go to a web browser and type in the IP address of your BI computer with :81 and you are seeing your cameras.

Reaction score
since i only have the one camera at the moment, its set up on its own network via switches and its own router. I purchased this thinking I'd scale up with more cameras but at the time he one camera was fine.. I'd like to have an offline ecosystem which includes the cameras. However I'd like to view the cameras when I'm away from home in addition to when i am home