IPC-HDW5231R-ZE using DHCP keeps requesting an IP old (incorrect) address

DwainPipe

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a pair of IPC-HDW5231R-ZE I got years ago from Andy and they have been working great until I had to rebuild my network recently. Both are set to use DHCP but since the network rebuild one of the cameras keeps requesting an IP address from the network controller.

Some background - I have a full Ubiquiti Unifi network and the cameras are cabling directly to a switch. The controller on the network provides IP addresses via DHCP. When I first configured the cameras on the new network I allocated them fixed IPs of 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201 and all was good.

Time passed and I broke the network into 2 separate networks, i.e. different VLANs, so I could put all my IoT devices separate, including the cameras. I allocated the cameras, on their network ports, to the new IoT network with new fixed IPs of 192.168.20.200 and 192.168.20.201. Note they are now on VLAN 20 or the 192.168.20.x network.

Now the problem - Both cameras get and are showing the correct VLAN 20 IPs in their settings (still with DHCP set) and I can connect and use them before successfully on these IP addresses, but one (not both!) of the cameras keeps requesting its old 192.168.1.x IP address and so in the network controller the allocated IP keeps 'flicking' between 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.20.201 every 30 seconds. I check the network controller logs and it is a request that is coming from the camera for 192.168.1.201.

The actual IP address of the camera does not change. I can always connect to it on the IP address the controller has allocated on VLAN 20 but the camera continued to request the old IP address.

I've dug into this with Ubiquiti support (as I thought it was a network problem) as both cameras have all the same settings but they found the specific and repeating request in the log file of the network from the camera to the controller. Ubiquiti support has suggested a factory reset of the camera but I'm nervous given 1) the cameras are working 2) it's years since I set up the cameras and I can't remember the steps to get it reworking and 3) I dread the default password or the current password not working.

I would welcome any suggestions please.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Give the camera a static address of whatever it's meant to be on the 20 vlan.

That should stop it asking for the old address.
Then change it back to dhcp.

DwainPipe

n3wb
Reaction score
Give the camera a static address of whatever it's meant to be on the 20 vlan.

That should stop it asking for the old address.
Then change it back to dhcp.
I tried that, but once I changed it back to DHCP it kept requesting the wrong IP again.

DwainPipe

n3wb
Reaction score
It's always best to set Static IP's in cameras, IPS that are outside of the DHCP pool of the DHCP server.
Why is it better to set Static IPs rather than set a fixed IP from the DHCP controller?

Actually, a more confusing question to me, why pick a fixed IP outside of the DHCP controllers range?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why is it better to set Static IPs rather than set a fixed IP from the DHCP controller?

Actually, a more confusing question to me, why pick a fixed IP outside of the DHCP controllers range?
Simply because with DHCP unless you add a reservation there is a chance that the ip address could change, slim chance but it could.

DwainPipe

n3wb
Reaction score
Simply because with DHCP unless you add a reservation there is a chance that the ip address could change, slim chance but it could.
But the whole time, from the very start, I've set a fixed IP for the camera using the DHCP controller with the camera set to receive that DHCP issued IP. The camera is using that issued IP but looking at the DHCP controller logs the camera keeps requesting an old IP address.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have the cam set to DHCP and you've gone through a clean reset of the cam, then it should have no way to even know what its old IP address was to make any specific request for it.

Reset the cam to defaults. It then should be set to a static address at 192.168.1.108. Change the cam to DHCP. Uncheck the box at the bottom that says Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address service.

If you still have problems with it trying to change to that old address, then you likely have some DHCP/addressing problem elsewhere.

As above, you also can set the same address you want assigned as static in the cam so that it always will use that regardless what a DHCP server wants to try to push to it.