IPC-HDW5442TM-AS huge internet traffic

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I setup IPC-HDW5442TM-AS + Keenetic 4G + Huawei 4G modem on the dacha.
I use SmartPSS to work with this camera.
Today my mobile Internet provider told me that I have to pay for addtitional Gbytes Internet traffic.
My camera consumed 4Gb Internet traffic today.
I started to notice that the camera consumes a lot of Internet traffic and I don't understand why it is.
I don't use camera Live view to observe scenery, I don't download video from this camera and etc.
I did nothing today at all but camera consumed 4Gb.
How can I find what is consuming internet traffic?

Attachments

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you are using p2p right ?
I don't use p2p directly only using SmartPss, but I wasn't used SmartPss yesterday.
Nevertheless trafic was 4Gb per day.
If I need setup the camera then I use VPN connection.
So p2p was not used yesterday.

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely someone is viewing the camera without your permission. This is why I don't let my cameras have internet access, and I can only remotely view them by using third party software (Blue Iris).
Yes, I have the same idea. Is it possible to see who else is connected to my camera using p2p?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use p2p directly only using SmartPss, but I wasn't used SmartPss yesterday.
Nevertheless trafic was 4Gb per day.
If I need setup the camera then I use VPN connection.
So p2p was not used yesterday.
so how do you connect to the camera from outside ? via VPN ? really uncommon because most mobile connections are behind cgnat.

did you add the camera via serialnumber ?

block the camera from internet and you will see if its the problem.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have setup vpn then why have you also setup p2p and just because you haven’t used p2p to connect to the cam doesn’t mean that somebody else hasn’t?

When did you set the cam up and has it been behaving itself before?

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have setup vpn then why have you also setup p2p and just because you haven’t used p2p to connect to the cam doesn’t mean that somebody else hasn’t?

When did you set the cam up and has it been behaving itself before?
I use VPN because SmartPSS don't allow to make fine tuning of the camera. So I when I need to setup some settings then I switch on VPN and I connect to the camera using Web inerface after all I disconnect VPN.
In common cases I use SmartPss because it is more convinient way to manage the camera.

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so how do you connect to the camera from outside ? via VPN ? really uncommon because most mobile connections are behind cgnat.

did you add the camera via serialnumber ?

block the camera from internet and you will see if its the problem.
I use VPN only for setup the camera using Web interface after I don't use it.
I added the camera to SmartPss using serial number.
I can block internet trafic from the camera on the router side but how I will be able to connect to it using SmartPss in this case?
As far as I understand p2p connection consumes internet trafic only when you are connected to camera using SmartPss or another program.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe the camera log file will tell you something. (Ignore the quantity of logs seen in screenshot, I'm dialing in a new 5442T-ZE)

1640124194428.png

1640124276824.png

Highlight an entry and you can see an IP address.

1640125079988.png

Last edited:

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You may have blocked the camera itself from accessing the web, but if you've activated P2P, and SmartPSS may be running as a service so it records whether you're live viewing it or not, I would say that may be suspect. Turn off the P2P, always use a VPN to get to anything at home. SmartPSS may also have log files you want to review.

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may have blocked the camera itself from accessing the web, but if you've activated P2P, and SmartPSS may be running as a service so it records whether you're live viewing it or not, I would say that may be suspect. Turn off the P2P, always use a VPN to get to anything at home. SmartPSS may also have log files you want to review.
Could you tell me how I can turn off P2P ?

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe the camera log file will tell you something. (Ignore the quantity of logs seen in screenshot, I'm dialing in a new 5442T-ZE)
Highlight an entry and you can see an IP address.
log.png
On 18th of DEC internet trafic was about 3Gb.
The camera log is empty for this period of time.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the camera interface, P2P is located under the network tab, in the access platform.
I don't use SmartPSS so I have no remarks there.
A better explanation of your network topology would help-what is your current setup and what do you want to do?

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On 18th of DEC internet trafic was about 3Gb.
The camera log is empty for this period of time.

Your start and end times match.

Ya gotta give it a range to search to get a result.

Scratch that after a re-look see that isn't right.

Odd nothing at all happen, seems logs for mine always have something recorded in em.

Logs just don't go back very far, just over a day?

Last edited:

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Varies by model/firmware one of mine only goes back a day but includes the most information. The other three a month or more, T5442T log result for "account" goes back to 11-25 with 3 pages so I'd think yours would be similar?

Culprit deleting the log on exit?

I cleared the logs on one, no entry stating had done so. I would think there would be but nothing.

LOL yea sorry gotta stop with the assuming today. Doesn't appear like deleting the log is possible across all models. Only find that option to do so in one of mine and while it does post a record of it it is listed under "clear log" instead of under "Account" search result even though it is posted as an Admin level action.

Last edited: