IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE S3 questions

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
But is it possible to switch out the eyeball and put it in the newer base?
I've done the opposite, an S3 in the old base, and it works well. So I'd assume an older 5442 could go in the new base ok, but beware of assumptions!

This is what my S3 says for device info, obviously custom for Andy since it has his model #.
Capture.JPG

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done the opposite, an S3 in the old base, and it works well. So I'd assume an older 5442 could go in the new base ok, but beware of assumptions!

This is what my S3 says for device info, obviously custom for Andy since it has his model #.
View attachment 201965
I wonder if mine will say that if I put Andy's firmware on the cam? Gonna try it out. Isn't Andy's firmware better anyway?

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 201965
Mine doesn't say S3 like Andy's. It's possible that model numbers are write once only and Andy's model number is custom to his devices and dahua doesn't bother putting the S3 in their cams' model number. The only way to know for sure is to compare it to a known genuine dahua branded S3 cam. Obviously the model number info doesn't come from the actual firmware. Another option to verify is if there is a actual circuit board difference between the S3 vs previous models.

Screenshot_20240827_033155_Firefox.jpg

Reaction score
But is it possible that the Chinese region hacked firmware would allow the cam to be updated to the latest version? In the past, that wasn't really possible and was a good way to know if the cam was a fake. But if they've come this far and figured out how to do it, how much harder would it be to make some stickers with the S3 and make S3 show in the software interface.
No..
S3 use new much more upgrades SOC (processor) - you can't upload new firmware to old hardware.
You can check in AI menu - You should have there options like AcuPick or VideoMetaData, which weren't possible on old camera due lack of power..

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No..
S3 use new much more upgrades SOC (processor) - you can't upload new firmware to old hardware.
You can check in AI menu - You should have there options like AcuPick or VideoMetaData, which weren't possible on old camera due lack of power..
Yes, AcuPick is there though i have no idea how to use ot yet. Lol

There's also the alarm wires and extra connections on the harness. P.s, how do you trip the alarm? Is it just as simple as shorting 2 wires? Or is it a signal? Edit, i guess it looks like it requires a voltage to operate a relay in the cam?

Then there's the mic in. Is it just a regular line in that i could attach any line level audio to test it such as the audio output from a radio at line level?

Edit: I tested the line in with a small pocket radio with an audio out and it worked. I could hear the radio in the cam when I selected line-in in the cam software.

UPDATE:

On the alarm wires, yellow to black I get 3v, orange to black I get 0 ohm when I trigger alarm, I get no continuity when not triggered, doing this from browser.

I know the S1 version doesn't have these features and the S2 I'm not sure. Is this a good indicator that this is in fact an S3 version, along with the ability to run proper firmware and acupick like was mentioned earlier?

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There's also the alarm wires and extra connections on the harness. P.s, how do you trip the alarm? Is it just as simple as shorting 2 wires? Or is it a signal? Edit, i guess it looks like it requires a voltage to operate a relay in the cam?

Then there's the mic in. Is it just a regular line in that i could attach any line level audio to test it such as the audio output from a radio at line level?
Sounds like you have an S3. The older 5442s don't have the audio and alarm wires.