IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S3 login page "This site is not secure" message

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Every time I try to log in on any browser with the IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S3, I receive a "This site is not secure" message. How can I resolve this issue?"

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get over OCD and either accept it or not use better cameras LOL.

These security cameras are not very secure (ironic isn't it), and they don't use HTTPS or other security measures, which is why we say and preach do not allow these cameras to touch the internet.

But don't be fooled by consumer cameras like Ring and Blink that this message won't pop up because they have a whole other host of vulnerability issues.

Plus it is best to use Internet Explorer for these cameras, yeah we know LOL, but it also isn't as sensitive to these things, in addition to potentially giving you access to more menu options.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get over OCD and either accept it or not use better cameras LOL.

These security cameras are not very secure (ironic isn't it), and they don't use HTTPS or other security measures, which is why we say and preach do not allow these cameras to touch the internet.

But don't be fooled by consumer cameras like Ring and Blink that this message won't pop up because they have a whole other host of vulnerability issues.

Plus it is best to use Internet Explorer for these cameras, yeah we know LOL, but it also isn't as sensitive to these things, in addition to potentially giving you access to more menu options.
How to not allow these cameras to touch the internet?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to remember we are not the intended audience of these cameras, it are professional installers installing in business situations. As such they have, or should have, their cameras isolated from everything else and using a robust VMS system to further create a disconnect.

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on better quality cameras thru folks like Andy.

You need to either VLAN the system or if using something like Blue Iris then dual NIC.

And then you host a VPN to view it remotely. This isn't a paid VPN that hides your IP address, rather it is one you host on your router or computer. Or use something like ZeroTier.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Every time I try to log in on any browser with the IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S3, I receive a "This site is not secure" message. How can I resolve this issue?"
you have enabled SSL/TLS encryption on cam but didn't upload own SSL certificate for address at which You use this cam in web browser..

normal situation.. the same is with web panels for internet routers and other IOT devices, which have web panel and ability to use SSL. If you enable SSL, you must always upload own SSL certificate. Default one is universal (don't specify web address like mycamera.mydomain.com) and browsers don't accept them..

Simply accept this (universal cert) in browser and click to remember this settings...
or disable SSL/TLS in camera configuration...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AND don't think that enabling the SSL/TLS makes the camera secure - it is simply a false sense of security.

There are too many backdoor exploits that this won't protect.

Do not let the cameras touch the internet. That is the only safe way.