IPC-HFW4431R-Z

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I'm thinking of buying IPC-HFW4431R-Z.

Any good or bad sides for this camera?
Seems that it has metal casing but not vandal proof.

Currently found from Ebay around 80$ or 72€.

EDIT: one concern about the model is that naming rule tells it isn't really vari focal.
+ The description says that it has some type of smart features. Not sure about that either.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It is Vari-focus and motorized. But many folks will tell you to stay away from it. That model is a cheap knockoff and others have had problems with them. See this thread:
Dahua Bullet (IPC-HFW4431R-Z) First Thoughts
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-bullet-ipc-hfw4431r-z-first-thoughts.15019/
You will be much better off spending a bit more and getting a 2Mp camera that works, and they perform better at night generally speaking than most 4MP cameras.. Look at the Starlight thread here:
Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is Vari-focus and motorized. But many folks will tell you to stay away from it. That model is a cheap knockoff and others have had problems with them. See this thread:
Dahua Bullet (IPC-HFW4431R-Z) First Thoughts
You will be much better off spending a bit more and getting a 2Mp camera that works, and they perform better at night generally speaking than most 4MP cameras.. Look at the Starlight thread here:
Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup
Knockoff.. well that explains the weird product number.
I tried to search the model from here but somehow missed that thread.

The problem is that I have very limited budget for the camera currently. (~70€/~80$)
Starlight would be awesome but there are no cameras in that price range.

Are there any good cameras in that price range?

Reaction score
I am definitely no expert like some folks on here but I have been happy with this camera model. Definitely varifocal and the image is good day and night. Performs well with strong IR (I belive the 80m quote). Did extensive testing all around my house both day and night. Recorded using dahua nvr and smart pss. If my wife didn't require me to buy turrets I would install these everywhere except for the 1 starlight I just ordered.

Just order one and try it for yourself using smart pss to record and see if it meets your needs. Omni Security on eBay has US stock so returns are easy (sent back a dome I tested last week - ick). You should also be able to update firmware with the help of these forums even though I haven't yet.

I will likely be using 1 each of these zoomed out to about 7mm for our 2 gates to our backyard. I blasted my recordings after putting in a new 4tb surveillance drive and a ssd for Windows or I would show samples. Definitely not a starlight but for around $75 I think it is a good value. Definitely not perfect but better than many others out there. Search this forum for that model #.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I am definitely no expert like some folks on here but I have been happy with this camera model. Definitely varifocal and the image is good day and night. Performs well with strong IR (I belive the 80m quote). Did extensive testing all around my house both day and night. Recorded using dahua nvr and smart pss. If my wife didn't require me to buy turrets I would install these everywhere except for the 1 starlight I just ordered.

Just order one and try it for yourself using smart pss to record and see if it meets your needs. Omni Security on eBay has US stock so returns are easy (sent back a dome I tested last week - ick). You should also be able to update firmware with the help of these forums even though I haven't yet.

I will likely be using 1 each of these zoomed out to about 7mm for our 2 gates to our backyard. I blasted my recordings after putting in a new 4tb surveillance drive and a ssd for Windows or I would show samples. Definitely not a starlight but for around $75 I think it is a good value. Definitely not perfect but better than many others out there. Search this forum for that model #.
yeah, this model not bad, just the firmware can't be updated and normally the models for overseas quality much better than the Chinese market ones, but as you said should be better than many cams selling on ebay/amazon.