IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

lcoulon

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone share working settings to grab plates at approx 100 ft with a Z12 ?

I just received mine and would like to detect my car plate to open my house gate.

So far I tried tech101 's settings but I actually do not know how to trigger the
camera to make a snapshot when a car comes along and get the picture analysed and proceeded.

Many thanks for your help and experience to get plate recognition working.

Last edited:

giel

n3wb
Reaction score

I just received mine and would like to detect my car plate to open my house gate.

So far I tried tech101 's settings but I actually do not know how to trigger the
camera to make a snapshot when a car comes along and get the picture analysed and proceeded.

You do realize that anybody can open your gate with a piece of cardboard with your license plate number written on it... :p

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's some settings I use with my two Z12's but your scene may be different with regards to light, angle, speed etc so you'll likely have to tweek settings to your location. I have easy 100 hours into doing just that.

As to triggering a snapshot, my Dahua NVR that the camera is connected to does this every second, searchable in the Playback tab. No idea how to help ypu connect that to something to open your garage door..

Attachments

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any hints on settings?

this is what i get stationary versus moving....

managed this

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a whole lot of something going on.. Post your settings, image and exposure tabs.. and are you running any backlight like WDR or HLC?

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i believe at 1/1000 i couldnt even see the “stationary” LP which is why i never used it.

as you can see the stationary plate is about the same distance i need to see for the LP moving.

i have adjusted to shutter 1/1000 and brought up iris to 40 to bring in a little more light.

sucks that i cant test this till 8pm or later and not many vehicles pass at this time.

thanks for the quick responses.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You won’t be able to see much of anything except the IR bouncing off the plate and tiny white dots where the headlights/taillights are. Everything else will be black. You will need 1/1000 or less in order to freeze the plate and not have it blurry like your samples above.

How far is it to that stationary plate? There's quite a difference in distance between it and the car with the blurry plate..

Last edited:

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I “think” I had 1/160 and I could barely see the lights but no plate showed up.

I could be wrong. (Also it could have been that one car that doesn’t have front plates too!! Lol)

So I’ve set it for 1/1000. I will be driving home around 920pm. So plenty dark. When I get home I will use my car as a test.

So camera to “corner” where the stationary plate is according to google is about 170feet.

(My camera is not fully zoomed in)

Middle of the T street is 145

And that car was about 125 feet.

I can double check those distances when I get home. I’m teamviewing into my computer and trying to do it from a phone so it’s rough estimates. I appreciate the prompt replies so I am doing my best to get back as fast as possible with replies!

So I guess using the stationary plate is not hopeful to get IR bounce then. To use as a baseline.

I wanted to push out as much IR as I could so that was why I set IR to manual and upped the IR for both near and far. That way it is max IR lol!

Will updated in about 5 hours.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Why not use openaplr and use the plate number api function when equals your plate send command to open gate?

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the issue might be with the "day" to "night" switch it loses its focus.....

this is why i dont use 1/1000

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
first detection at 1/500
IRIS 100

Any other settings I can tweak to get more? (also was constantly getting false positives on the stationary plate, so I just discluded that area really quick.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Does that stationary vehicle park in that same spot a lot? I think/wonder focus is being drawn to it's reflectors, and being much further out from the camera, objects closer are blurry. I think that's part of your problem. The camera cant focus on two vastly different distances at night.

Try zooming you camera more to eliminate that far stationary vehicle from the scene. Then somewhere between 1/500 and 1/1000 should work.

Look at how much tighter zoom I have at 120ft
(Yes thats a motorcycle plate in the first image)

HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20181106013212_@3.jpg HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20181102120915_@3.jpg

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am zoomed out a "bit" due to there being a T intersection.

So driving towards me, if they turn down that intersection, I need to have more "left" and "top" and 'right" to see it....

I think with these settings this is what I got last night

to just show a few......so i THINK we are golden for that.....

Now I need to figure out this sunrise/sunset auto focus script.....

thanks @bigredfish for your help, i THINK i am dialed in for now!

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a 'generic' /unbranded version of this miracle camera that takes a cross flash?

We got egged (actually, they did about 100 cars- the idiots went to the local grocer and bought a case of eggs...), and I couldn't extract the LP from one of my regular cams due to a microSD malfunction.

So, another camera... $250 would still be cheaper than a new paint job on 2 cars.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
None of these generate a strobe flash if thats what you mean. Not a miracle, takes time and patience to dial it in.
There are much better LPR cameras, for a whole lot more money.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup confirmed, when the day to night switches, the focus is off....I thought this was fixed in the Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E?? Do i need newer firmware or something. I am trying to avoid having to run that separate sunrise utility if possible.....