IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E vs IPC-B5442E-ZE

lowtek

n3wb
Reaction score
First post, long time lurker.

I'm down to IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E or IPC-B5442E-ZE and was all set to purchase 3 of one of them. I've read the newer 4MP 1/1.8 camera review(s) but found one review where the 2MP 1/2.8 older model, which is also more expensive, worked better for low light license plate detection and capture.

My goal is superior low light performance for outside use.

Just had a vehicle stolen. Got it back in about an hour thanks to Ford's app locating it and fast response from two local police jurisdictions working fast, happy about that. I've been pouting along embarrassingly with whatever latest cloud based cam would offer, knowing they aren't that great, but it's time to build a solid camera solution.

Two story + basement home. The driveway/garage side of the house is almost 3 stories (18-20 feet to overhang).

Thoughts (and thanks!)

Bill

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both. Go with the IPC-B5442E-ZE or the -Z4E version. For license plates only the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E is just fine. However I do not know of anyone who has used the IPC-B5442-Z4E for license plates. I do not see why it would not work just fine.

lowtek

n3wb
Reaction score
@Parley thanks for the reply!

I've only found one reference to the -Z4E version (on AliExpress) ... what's the difference between the -Z4E and the -ZE?

(I'm getting an error message from us.dahuasecurity.com, apparently it's down right now)

Bill

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
64mm vs 32mm focal length big difference