IPC-HFW8232E-Z seems dead all of a sudden

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that splitter should of seen some form of life out of it..

if you really want the heater it'd be cheaper for andy to get you another and send it if you prove its the fault.. but I cant imagine in Floriduh that you actually have a need for it.. you'd probably be better off without it, save some electricity.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
that splitter should of seen some form of life out of it..

if you really want the heater it'd be cheaper for andy to get you another and send it if you prove its the fault.. but I cant imagine in Floriduh that you actually have a need for it.. you'd probably be better off without it, save some electricity.
you mean the switch? I haven't tried to splitter because I'm not sure if I can hook it to the POE+ injector? If so I'll try that quick. And yes you are right, i'd be pretty happy if it just had no heater but still worked and lesson learned.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE+ is backwards compatible with PoE, its simply a bigger power supply.. your always free to provide a larger supply than is required, it will only use what it needs.. its not providing it enough that you start to have problems.

A Heater I could potentially see going bad underpowered, generally electronics simply wont be stable.. but those heaters are usually on a cycle duty, turn on for a lil bit, then off for a lil bit, then back on, etc.. if it was underpowered it might of been running 100% duty trying to keep it at the target temp.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
POE+ injector to POE splitter to turret, no problems, POE+ injector to POE splitter to bullet, no activity, though when I checked the properties of blue iris it did say like 2.3fps I dunno if thats just what it says no matter what, no lights on the switch, ran POE+ injector to my laptop for giggles and no activity on the nic there either. Guess I wait to see what Andy says. I'm very curious now to know if I killed this camera or if it just died, and if I'll be able to just disconnect a heater or something and make it work again.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread;). You are quite the pro! I've seen my share of computer rooms with rows of racks, patch panels, and cabinets. Patch panels give you a lot of flexibility to reconfigure your wiring. I would if I could, but no room for patch panels and racks in my house :)
There is always room, sometimes u just gotta make it..

Attachments

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is always room, sometimes u just gotta make it..
Nice! Looks very clean. Very creative to hang or wall mount that network cabinet from the countertop. Gives me an idea to try something with my mess of cables and such.... another project I need to do o_O
Thanks.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying about finding room for wiring and stuff. It was originally going to be the Laundry room, up high initially until I realized it was deeper than I planned. So it was either under the desk, or in the garage... garages get a little too hot in AZ. :) I'll shut up now.. I hate thread hijacking.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got two 3000VA UPS's on an automatic transfer switch, and a few 4cyl diesel engines w/180A alternators I can patch in if I get desperate ;)

60A 12vdc linear power supply in there, Rack mount Kenwood TS2000 HAM Radio, niles si-1230 amp, pioneer sc-1222 avr, 3x 4U Enclosures w/custom builds in em, then the other rack is the network with switch/midspan/cable modem/router/patch panels and rack mount keyboard/monitor.

Last edited:

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon you need to find yourself some wall worts. i must have a 50 of them in a drawer over the years, many at 12V for testing independent of PoE.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon you need to find yourself some wall worts. i must have a 50 of them in a drawer over the years, many at 12V for testing independent of PoE.
I've got some, might have one that would fit, the fact that it worked on reg Poe though and won't do anything when using the splitter doesn't leave much hope though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally you'd monitor voltage and current when bench testing with a wall wart.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
too pricey for many here, but i recommend the B&K Precision 316 Mini AC/DC Clamp Meter for this sort of work.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I found a 12v, 3amp wart, looks to be the same connector connected the Ethernet from laptop to camera, no joy, haven't found my multi meter yet.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a camera power splitter on the left and the wart on the right so I could match up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk