IPC-T5442T-ZE housing mount set screw is jammed

keviano

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought this camera on Amazon. I also bought the Amcrest black wall mount. I have everything installed and camera was mounted and working. I decided i needed to adjust the view, loosened the star set screw using the tool provided and retightened a couple of times. I had to do this because as i tightened the screw on one side, it would push the mount down on the other side. After a couple attempts, the screw became jammed and eventually stripped the star tool on one end. I was able to use the other end to back it out just enough to get the housing off but it is still jammed tight, and the star screw has lost most of its bite by now. I have had the unit two weeks and its back to sitting on my desk. and wonder if there is a way to just purchase or replace just the housing bell where that star screw is located? The rest of the unit and housing appears to be functional.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Purchase yourself a good quality Torx T10 screw driver. Such as this:
Put some penetrating oil on that screw so that it runs into the threads, in the mean time, and let it sit until the new screw driver arrives.
Then try and see if you can remove the screw with the new driver.
If not, you may need to carefully drill it out then get a replacement screw at your hardware store.

The Torx tools that come with these cameras are pretty poor quality.

"pushed the mount down on the other side" It's possible you didn't have the other side properly latched in the groove before trying to tighten the screw.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to go super crazy on the tightening, especially during initial positioning....if the joe bad guy is gonna fuck with the cam he'll probably knock the whole shitaroo off the wall. So I dont crank on mine.....
Snug plus 1/8th turn is good.
When you say. " it was pushing the mount down on the other side" do you mean that whole housing was coming down?
Maybe it wasn't all the way in place before tightening.....esp. if a the cabling is jammed in there too tight.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I had one that I cross-threaded somehow too. It's not an easy fix. Try to get it out as above if you can. Much worse of a job if you have to try drilling it out. Tried re-tapping it but unless you get it just right then the soft aluminum just gets messed up again with the next screw. Or maybe my tapping skills are just lacking. Ended up finding another shell from a dead cam.

That's one thing that I don't much like about the way Dahua does their turrets. Some are just a pain to get to go on right. Especially when up on a ladder trying to hold the thing and that little tool. The way Hikvision does it with the clamp-down screw is a lot easier.

keviano

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the quick responses! I do have another specialty set but it is also gliding thru the head pretty easily at this point. I was hoping not to have to go down the route of 'drilling' out and replacing screws on a brand new camera but you may be right. The screw was loose in the hole but never came completely out of the threads so I was a bit confused at how it got jammed so quickly and then wouldn't back out.

I believe (hope) the reason it pops out on the other side, is due to how I had positioned/rotated the camera, the cord was pushing out the back into the mount as the screw tightened. I noticed that the separate mounting bracket that attaches the camera housing to the wall mount, can be rotated so there is an 'open area' where the cord is and I hope that solves that problem. Based on the responses, I am going to take a further look at how that other side latches up.

Again, thanks for the responses. The way this project has been so far, Its fitting that this one 'set' screw is the one thing keeping me from finishing.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Keviano

Sorry for the trouble, i watch you try to contact us and can't find our contact information. if that screw was jammped just contact us for a replacing. By the way, we put a contact card in each box of the camera, so can contact us directly. I watch your 1 star review, you said try to find me here, so i come here to offer you support. I also send you a DM.

This is the support email for all amazon orders, our guy reply all emails there. But you also can contact us to me directly kingsecurity2014@163.com
In 2023 we will make all labels with the contact email on it. :D
1671087204983.jpg

Andy

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY - Hopefully he revises that 1 star review after you take care of him.

Every camera I have bought has Andy's contact info in it (that card above that Andy posted), so I encourage you to look again at the materials in the box. Plus keep in mind he is in Hong Kong and you sent this on a weekend (even though Andy is usually working 7 days a week).

Further he is always responsive. Perhaps there was a delay on Amazon end reaching out to him that way and was no fault of his? That is why he provides a little contact card in each box.

In fact I had just sent Andy a message and then I saw this post and while writing this, he responded back. Like literally within minutes. That sounds responsive to me. Search here - he is responsive and takes care of his customers, even beyond the warranty period.

Then you come here and start a post and don't tag Andy, so how was he to know as I suspect he doesn't read every thread? You mentioned a problem that is usually self-inflicted (have you never stripped a thread or screw before?) and members here offered some solutions but after reading that 1 star review it is clear you didn't like the solutions.

You also mention in the 1 star review that the black cover is loose. That cover serves no real purpose other than to blend the lens with the front of the camera and is simply held in place with a plastic tab (and not glue like you assume) and easily comes off with a screwdriver. I pop all of mine off when I paint the camera. If it bothers you that much that it is "loose" either push it back in place as it came loose in transit or remove it or glue it....

Nowhere in your original post here did you mention Andy, tag him, or ask for help on how to reach him or even mention you were trying to reach him and it came across that you were posting asking for a solution on how to deal with a stripped thread and received appropriate responses we have all had to do (and for things other than cameras), yet in your 1 star review you basically slam him claiming he is unresponsive on this forum as well as the solutions members of the forum....

Perhaps if you tagged Andy or asked how to get in contact with him and one of us would have tagged Andy in the response he would have responded sooner....We tag Andy all the time in a response when it is clear it is an issue that Andy needs to address - yours seemed more self-inflicted and looking for a solution on how to fix it.

We look forward to your 1-star review revision once Andy takes care of you.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you try jamming a flat bladed screwdriver in there to see if you can turn it out?

I’ve purchased 9 cams from Andy and have never had any issues with any of them but then again before I install the cam I always spray some silicone spray into the set screw before finally pinching it tight.

Reaction score
We’re talking about a 5mm x.8 set screw that requires minimal torque to apply pressure to the ball of the camera and squeeze it in the plastic feet of the base. Sounds as though it was over tightened, and probably not fully seated on the back, which marred the threads on the set screw. I’m not sure that’s a valid reason to jump in the drivers seat and start backing the bus over Andy

keviano

n3wb
Reaction score
Already contact Keviano, will send him the housing with lock screw to replace.
Thank you Andy!
Andy did reach out to me and let me know he is real! He is going to work with me on the housing and I have likewise corrected the review to a 5 star rating. I didn't feel they should have to replace the whole camera or even the housing free of charge and this was never an expectation for a good rating. I do appreciate all their efforts here. I have an investment in the mount and the labor to put it up, therefore I did not want to return the camera, and i really didn't want to try my hand at tapping a new set screw. I appreciate all the constructive responses.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I find that if you back the screw almost all the way out to the point it might come out, then you can latch in the other side of housing MUCH easier. Also like others have stated...DO NOT over tighten, it takes very little pressure. Play with it before you install it and you will find it takes no force at all to get to latch or seat in housing.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, I had to fix it based on extensive experience... :)

I find that if you back the screw almost all the way out to the point it might come out, then you can latch in the other side of housing MUCH easier. it wall fall out into the grass, bounce into a crack in the sidewalk, or something similar, and you'll never see it again.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you Andy!
Andy did reach out to me and let me know he is real! He is going to work with me on the housing and I have likewise corrected the review to a 5 star rating. I didn't feel they should have to replace the whole camera or even the housing free of charge and this was never an expectation for a good rating. I do appreciate all their efforts here. I have an investment in the mount and the labor to put it up, therefore I did not want to return the camera, and i really didn't want to try my hand at tapping a new set screw. I appreciate all the constructive responses.
Send you the email, you just reply me your shipping address will ask guy to ship out to you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Andy!
Awesome! We knew Andy would take care of you! Thanks for revising the review!

Hopefully this is the first of many purchases from him! You won't find them better than him.