IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of 5442T-ZE's from Andy earlier this year and they are running System Version V2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-06.

I've always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" person. But for those of you who have some 5442's, is there any compelling reason for upgrading to the latest firmware or should I just stick to my motto? :)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of 5442T-ZE's from Andy earlier this year and they are running System Version V2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-06.

I've always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" person. But for those of you who have some 5442's, is there any compelling reason for upgrading to the latest firmware or should I just stick to my motto? :)
I would say no LOL. I live by that motto too but was bored and thought I would update to get 2D and 3D NR, so I updated one of mine last night and has been nothing but trouble. Can't factory reset from GUI, can't change the encoding/FPS. The image got darker, and IVS is working sporadically. Now I will have to get on a ladder to factory reset it since it now cannot be done from the GUI.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would say no LOL. I live by that motto too but was bored and thought I would update to get 2D and 3D NR, so I updated one of mine last night and has been nothing but trouble. Can't factory reset from GUI, can't change the encoding/FPS. The image got darker, and IVS is working sporadically. Now I will have to get on a ladder to factory reset it since it now cannot be done from the GUI.
Here are 3 older firmwares I saved if you are going back...The problems you are having are with 220818?

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know I should not question you on this, like preaching to the Choir :), but did you follow the Golden Rule?
So your ladder is needed because step 4 could not be done from the GUI, correct? So this makes sense, and for this reason is why a factory reset is needed. When I did mine I also manually inputted my old settings and did not import the config file. Only issue you will have with the ladder, after reset, is getting to the default IP unless you take a laptop with you. I just went to my switch with a laptop and a POE injector...no big deal there...

This is posted in DOWNLOADS:
1669552255829.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is correct. I followed the golden rule, well up to step 4 when the GUI wouldn't let me factory reset after the update, so I proceeded by skipping that step and setting up cam from scratch and couldn't set encode and then the other functions were not working properly. Thanks on the older firmware.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is correct. I followed the golden rule, well up to step 4 when the GUI wouldn't let me factory reset after the update, so I proceeded by skipping that step and setting up cam from scratch and couldn't set encode and then the other functions were not working properly. Thanks on the older firmware.
You think it is because not resetting? I am able to change these:
1669586283986.png1669586299901.png1669586312774.png1669586331687.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All my pull downs are blank after the firmware update.
Wow, yeah thinking/hoping a reset will fix it. I mainly upgraded to get all my 5442 CAMs on the same firmware. I have had no problems so far but I don't use IVS. Just got 2 more 5442s from Andy which I will use the same 220818 build/firmware on those too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope using Internet Explorer on a computer without internet access and for kicks tried Pale Moon and Chrome and Edge and a different computer.

Deleted cache and plug-ins as well.

Flashed the old firmware and the pull downs reappear but the camera is wonky now and needs a factory reset to hopefully get it back to where it was.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've added two new IPC-T5442TM-AS-2.8mm cameras from Andy recently. I set them up manually using Internet Explorer with the automatic plugins that you can ok for install. On both cameras, initially I could not make any setting changes on the video tab. There were no drop down menus, etc. I could use the other tabs such as overlay and they worked fine. I went ahead and added the cameras to Blue Iris. At some point when I logged back into the cameras web interface using IE, the blank video tab had corrected itself. The menus worked and I could make changes. I'm not sure what caused the delay or what fixed the problem. It was weird, but happened with the same camera model twice, only a month old.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK made some progress.

I was playing around with APIs for another camera and thought "hey maybe I can API a factory reset instead of getting out the ladder" and so I was able to factory reset with an API. Weird thing is I have a SEARCH tab now that does nothing LOL.

Here is the API if anyone runs into the same issue:

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the camera GUI there is a "Default" and a "Factory Default" button. It is correct to say that the GUI "Factory Default" button performs less of a reset than using the HTTP API? And perhaps using the camera's 'reset' on board button is even more effective?

Have always wondered if the GUI factory default was equal to the camera reset button or also equal to the HTTP API reset.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In theory, a factory reset whether it is done by the button, API, or the GUI should result in the same function - a factory reset.

Now something to keep in mind is that a factory reset doesn't really put it back to everything as it left the factory - whatever firmware was flashed to it later will be the firmware that is there when you initialize the camera again. In other words, if it left the factory with 2019 firmware and you updated it to 2022 firmware, when you do a factory reset, it will be on the 2022 firmware.

But I agree, if possible, I try to do the button reset as it seems to me that would be the best one.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed the 220818 firmware on my 5241E-Z12E and noticed that there is no SmartIR setting in the UI, but I want to make sure SmartIR is disabled. If I go to the Backlight tab, I noticed that BLC is greyed out, which makes me think the cam has SmartIR enabled (as that is why BLC would be greyed out). SmartIR normally appears under the Exposure tab (at least it does on my 5442T-ZE running the exact same firmware.

Is there a way to ensure SmartIR is in fact disabled, or is the fact that the setting does not show up enough to confirm that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just installed the 220818 firmware on my 5241E-Z12E and noticed that there is no SmartIR setting in the UI, but I want to make sure SmartIR is disabled. If I go to the Backlight tab, I noticed that BLC is greyed out, which makes me think the cam has SmartIR enabled (as that is why BLC would be greyed out). SmartIR normally appears under the Exposure tab (at least it does on my 5442T-ZE running the exact same firmware.

Is there a way to ensure SmartIR is in fact disabled, or is the fact that the setting does not show up enough to confirm that?
Several posts in this thread say not to update the z12 with this firmware. Plus it wad mainly adding smart IR which is for close up objects and usually if someone is using a z12 it is for distances beyond 15 feet away. Rollback to the previous version.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Several posts in this thread say not to update the z12 with this firmware. Plus it wad mainly adding smart IR which is for close up objects and usually if someone is using a z12 it is for distances beyond 15 feet away. Rollback to the previous version.

Ahh ok got it. I found an old email I had with Andy and it appears that the 201119 version is the last one prior to adding SmartIR, so I will put that back on the camera and then never update the firmware again. I usually never touch the firmware, but am upgrading a bunch of old Hikvision cameras to the 5442T and decided to just get everything on the same version while I was at it. Lesson learned!

Last edited:

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just finished downgrading my Z12E to the 201119 firmware. All went smoothly and I was sure to do the factory reset before and after updating the firmware. The only nuance I am seeing is that in the Dahua ConfigTool the camera model is no longer correctly reported and just shows "IP Camera". It used to correctly report the Z12E camera model, so not sure what happened. Is there any way for me to set that anywhere so that it does show up? Not that big of a deal, but just helps me identify the cameras easier when I use that tool.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on this other thread, I would say the answer is yes. However, the Smart IR won't work with this particular camera LOL

Would it be wrong to buy the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED - now, when it is EOL? (the price is attractive...)