IPC-T5442T-ZE won't power on with PoE

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a couple of IPC-T5442T-ZE from Andy last year and finally got around to getting network cable run for them. The first one went up no problem, but the second one wouldn't turn on when connected to PoE. I double checked that it wasn't the network cable/port using another camera, which worked fine. I can also get the camera to turn on using 12V DC, so it seems to be isolated to the PoE.

Is there anything might suggest I try to get this up and running again? I've already reached out to Andy, but I figured posting here might raise some suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i know this sounds redundant, and you may have done this already, But try connecting the cam to the switch with a patch cord and see if it powers up.
maybe your cable run drops a little voltage along the way and she doesn't get enough umph?
But yeah, good chance it's got issues.

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, it's a valid one, and I haven't done it yet - I'll give it a go, but I don't hold much hope as the same run as able to power on the other IPC-T5442T-ZE.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There have been a few reports of dead POE connectors.

But @Flintstone61 - is correct to try as well with a short span. Sometimes the tolerances of these cams are quite wide.

I remember one person was having an issue with two identical cams placed on either side of the garage - one camera wouldn't work. He flipped sides and still didn't work. Brought it in for a test on the short cable. He was able to see power draw from the NVR and the problem camera was needing 3 more watts than the identical camera looking at the same view. So maybe it needs a little more juice.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Outside shot in the dark, Your power budget on your switch is approaching it's maximum power for poe distribution. Only if you have a lot of cams and the switch is getting full on ports.
Not likely, but it's a possibility.
But if you just add the question mark cam and leave the other 5442ze unplugged...does it power up then? If so, see if adding the Known good one, causes problems.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
If you find you are fighting cable and Poe problems they make cable and Poe testers that will tell you what’s going on.

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
I just plugged the "question mark camera" directly into the switch with a short known good patch cable, but still no dice.

@Flintstone61 - another good call about the power budget. That's not the case though, I'm running 5 cameras and 2 access points off a Unifi 250W switch, and it's reporting a consumption of 20W at the minute.

If it is a dead POE connector as @wittaj mentions, is there anything that can be done?