IPC-T5442T-ZE & Zooming

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The IPC-T5442T-ZE mentions motorized zoom. Is it actually possible to zoom through software like BI? Or is this a varifocal cam where you manually have to adjust the zoom? In the later case why would it say motorized?

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you can zoom it in and out and focus it remotely if the PTZ controls are enabled in your NVR or software or through the camera's web interface.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The IPC-T5442T-ZE mentions motorized zoom. Is it actually possible to zoom through software like BI? Or is this a varifocal cam where you manually have to adjust the zoom? In the later case why would it say motorized?
It's both. You can zoom in/out via software controls. But it's intended as a control to adjust the focal length of the lens rather than as a zoom function as in the case of a PTZ. It's said to be motorized because it uses a motor to control the varifocal function and to adjust focus, the latter being important even once set. That's vs the old way of doing it manually using two rods that you turned to adjust focal length and focus (which was a real pain in the ass to try to get right).

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Attached is what I have set in BI. I understand it can't do PT but I assume that is what I need to set to zoom. However, when I am in BI, select the cam and click the zoom in/zoom out buttons (the magnifying glass at the bottom) nothing happens.
PTZ.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind this camera is not made or intended to do a lot of zooming in and out - if you want that then you need a PTZ. It should be a set it and forget it. If BI is able to control it, then it is a bonus, but realistically you should be setting this within the camera GUI.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a problem getting that to work at one point with one of my 5442-T-ZEs too. I don't recall what I had to change to fix it now.

What does your setup look like under Video > Configure?

Again, not really intended to be used as a zoom but, yeah, you still want the adjustment to work so you can change things within BI.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't plan to use this for frequent zooming. It's really more for a setup thingy without having to climb a latter. Attached is what I have for the Video settings.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I meant in BI. Video tab > Config button. The screen that shows the cam IP address and strings, etc.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Try like this:

Your version looks a little different than mine. Maybe try to do find/inspect again and see if it fills in for you.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I changed it to this and then restarted BI but still no success with zooming using the loops (see attachment).

Attachments

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
I got my 5442 to zoom with the following settings i just kept trying different options till it worked (im still testing this 1 camera before i move it to my switch and get it mounted):

Untitledkhu.jpg

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@tbaygents I tried those settings and now zooming works. I can now see why @Mike A. said this is not for frequent zooming. It takes some time for the cam to focus. Anyways, as I said, this is more for setup than anything else. I will still have to climb the latter to slightly adjust the angle but the motorized zooming function and "auto focus" is very helpful.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it. No idea why one works with one and not with the other. Whatever... take it. ; )

Yes, much better to have that available. You can do it on the cam but easier there. Also, there are some settings for zoom/focus speed in the cam that you can change under Settings > Conditions > Zoom and Focus tab. I have mine set to 20. Not sure what the default is.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my case both zoom and focus are set to speed 1. I am pretty sure this is the default for my cam because I would not have changed those settings.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
20 should be faster but playing with that again now I really don't see much difference between 1 or 20.

Reactions: rfj

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad you got it working! I tried upwards 10-15 until one worked. I agree, its convenient to set the zoom from BI and not have to climb a ladder or login the camera to set it, plus the one off random times I may want to zoom it!

By the way mine is set default to 20 as well.

Tom

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You guys are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much! Now I need to buy more of those IPC-T5442T-ZE cams (unless there are newer versions).