IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm

Reaction score
I've been messing around with the night settings now as its automatically changing profiles as set in the "profile management" tab.

So far looks quite nice. Havent been able to test the blur yet.

You can pop most of the black off and then just have the black part of the actual lens LOL.

Or get this one and let them think you have a pet robot LOL

View attachment 117614
Ahh you can! Thats good to know. I was thinking to perhaps 3D print a nice cover up but I think there some hole for the audio, which of course also can be fixed with the printer.

Yeah I noticed that big cam earlier on Dahua site. That thing looks terrifying! Haha.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny... I sometimes catch myself trying to click on things when people post the settings. ; )

You'll likely have a lot of blur with motion @ 40. Try for lower. Start at 8.33. Next at 10. Next 16.67. Then 33.33 as about as slow as you want to go.

Edit to add:

Again, need to take into consideration what you're trying to capture. You may be able to get the cars to show up well there with the light at various settings. But someone climbing onto your balcony is just going to be a dark silhouette without more light facing that approach.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
are there any 5442 6mm's to be had? or does Hik have one in that flavor? Last few times i was at Amazon the 6mm was unavailable ( i think)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Firstly It would help if you could give an idea of what you're trying to protect here - your car?

If so, and you have a regular space, then the next thing to coonsider is the distance to the car and which varifocal will be bets- remember here varifocal is not the same as a PTZ. It's a zoom, fix and forget, not a zoom in for a better look camera. However, if you have a fixed parking spot and it's your car you're trying to protect, that will give you some idea of which varifocal you want - the ze, 4ZE or 12ZE.

I'm presuming from the height you live in a 3rd (?) floor apartment? The ideal height for a camera is 6.5-7.5 ft. Cameras mounted high tend to capture hair not faces although horizontal distance to the subject helps here. If you're in apartment I'm guessing you have little chocie but to mount it heigh up.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about what people think provided you're not breaching your tenancy agreement putting one up. If visible it's a deterrent although it can also encrouage the hiding of faces. It's always a balance between deterrence and forewarning someone to simp[ly carry out the crime but face hidden. Both have their virtues but there's a lot to be said for avoidning the crime if possible, anmely expensive and lengthy insurance claims and restitution.

Reaction score
Here is a comparison of the T5442TM-AS in 2.8 mm and 6mm.

2.8mm PFD.20200611_210943.2306697.3.jpg

6.0mmDRRT 5542 6mm 8-51pm 7-3-20.jpg

Here are a few comparisons to the T5442TM-AS in 2.8mm and the B5442E-Z4E (8-32mm varifocal).

2.8mm T5442TM-AS 2-8mm.jpg 18mm B5442-Z4E 18mm.jpg 27mm B5442-Z4E 27mm.jpg and 32mm B5442-Z4E 32mm.jpg

Hope this can give you a sense of how the FOV varies with lens sizes.

Realize that from mounting your cam that high up, you will probably never get a good shot of the face unless you look far out. See graphic below.

Angle of attack.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone for being so kind and helpful! I've learned a lot from this topic alone. Currently I'm satisfied with the settings you guys suggested, and will use it just for observation, as it will be difficult to get a good face shot and perhaps any detail at all from that height (like samplenhold pointed out). So, thanks a lot for the comparison! Really helpful.

The B5442E-Z4E is quite a powerful cam lol! Performed nice at the 32mm setting.