IPC-T5442TM-AS: 4MP Dahua, Smart IR firmware update? Other suggestions?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting this Dahua 4MP:

Thanks to @looney2ns for the detailed review. It's been about 8 months, and I was wondering if one of the Amazon reviewers complaints about the firmware has been fixed. Specifically, if a person walks close to the camera at night, the camera doesn't lower the exposure to prevent IR washout. Wondering if anyone's updated their firmware to see if this is still an issue.

I'm impressed with the night-time performance of the sample videos. I also like the microphone performance. Those two things are pretty important to me. I've been getting lost with all the Dahua models and OEM model numbers, this is the first time I felt like I'm narrowing in on a Dahua that I might buy. Is there any other models I should consider?

My aims: Turret style, good to great night time performance, still decent day time images, good mic.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The latest firmware addresses the Smart IR issue from earlier firmware versions. Smart IR is now referred to as Auto IR. Shouldn’t be any issues now. Additional firmware support is provided by Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The latest firmware addresses the Smart IR issue from earlier firmware versions. Smart IR is now referred to as Auto IR. Shouldn’t be any issues now. Additional firmware support is provided by Andy @EMPIRETECANDY
Thanks Arjun - what firmware date or version is that?
The two T5542 cams I have setup are build date 2019-11-18, Version 2.800.0000000.10.R

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same version number and it is dated November 18, 2019

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@windguy I'd stay cautiously optimistic regarding Auto IR. Some other discussions on other models say that Auto IR is not necessarily same as Smart IR :(

From @Wildcat_1 Post #19

I would take the numbers in the specs with a grain of salt. @Wildcat_1 has done a fabulous job with sharing his experience with some of these recently announced models. He has also provided immense feedback and support :thumb:

Last edited:

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have v2.800.0000000.11.R, Build Date 2019-12-30

Auto IR overexposes and washes out faces on the two IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm cameras I have installed so far.

I have the same issue with two IPC-B5442E-ZE Bullet's, different firmware as linked to in the appropriate threads but same build date.

Selecting manual on both models tones it down and I am testing ZoomPrio on the bullet but ZoomPrio doesn't seem to help.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had this issue with my 5442. Updated to more recent firmware that supposedly fixed it. Didnt work.
Then I found this, which DID work: smart IR issue explained
He basically said don't lock your exposure/gain. Let the auto stuff do its auto stuff.

So what’s the solution? Simply use camera exposure system to do the job. DO NOT LOCK EXPOSURE for night time at 1/30s or so. Also, do not lock gain. If you lock both or any of these, the camera will not be able to adopt to existing conditions. If you want your cam to work at 1/25s exposure, set the range between 0-40ms. If something extremely bright appears in frame the cam will shorten the exposure. It will adopt in a fraction of a second and the available brightness span will range from 1/25s to 1/100000s, which is almost 12EV. If you want to keep GAIN at lower levels, do not lock it at one value. Set a range between 0 and your desired value.

The metering problem also can be solved. Use HLC function. The camera will be more “sensitive” to overexposured areas (even small/distant ones) and will instantly adopt exposure to this area. The higher HLC value you set, the more sensitive the camera will be.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I had this issue with my 5442. Updated to more recent firmware that supposedly fixed it. Didnt work.
Then I found this, which DID work: smart IR issue explained
He basically said don't lock your exposure/gain. Let the auto stuff do its auto stuff.
Yeah I have my shutter and gain set for a range. Neither is locked and I still get overexposure when set to Auto for my 5442.

I haven't tried HLC however. I'll give that a try tonight with Auto and see if it makes a difference.