IPC-T5442TM-AS tuning help

noice

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some help with blurriness on my 5442. I want to basically figure out of it's a limitation of the camera itself or a setting that I am not properly configuring.
IPC-T5442TM-AS - 3.6mm
FW: 2.820.15OG001.0.R,2021-05-25

Picture: All default 50 except brightness and contrast at 55
Exposure: Outdoor, mode Auto, 3D NR on, values at 50 for Advanced 3D and 2D
Backlight: Off
WB: Auto
Illuminator and Defog: Off
Encode: h264h, 2560x1440, 15fps, CBR, 8192 kbps, 30 iFrame

My main concern is I can't seem to see the license plate at all, range at about 30 feet. Close up also seems to produce a lot of graining/noise. Thanks
2023-01-26 20_01_05-.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is TOO FAR to read a license plate with a 3.6mm camera.... You would need to be within 10feet, 15 max to read a plate.

You need optical zoom like the 5442 varifocal to OPTICALLY zoom in, not DIGITAL zoom.

Ideally, the field of view should be not much larger than the size of the vehicle. The field of view would be just a little larger than your red box around part of the car.

See the LPR subforum on what is needed to read plates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now in terms of getting the most out of the camera, here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures. These are done within the camera GUI thru a web browser.

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

noice

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick and detailed write up. I will start from shutter/gain settings and work my way down the priority of settings you described. You're right, the picture became significantly darker but the ghosting has improved. I am still getting to learn the nuances of these cameras since I am coming from big box store wifi cams etc. Do you have recommendations for that can offer more detail at the 20-30 foot range?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442-ZE varifocal will get you good detail in the 20-30 foot range.

But keep in mind that the 2.8 and 3.6mm cams are designed to give you that wide-angle view.

When you optically zoom in to get clean images at distance, the field of view gets smaller.

So I would say use your existing camera as a great overview, and then the 5442-ZE optically zoomed in to a pinchpoint at that 20-30 feet distance that you want more detail at.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Be aware, what Wittaj is suggesting is a 2nd camera, not trying to do all on one camera. The 5442 ZE is designed to be zoomed then fixed permanently. You will break it trying to zoom in all the time. As for your existing 5442 cam, that's a very good picture. Close up it will be full of grain and be blurry because once you start to blow up a picture, you reduce reduce the pixel density in effect and 4mp is not enough to blow up such a small area by 20-30 times. 2 cameras are needed. 1 for the porch and another for the road, Personally I'd look at my porch positioning as 3.6mm is way too tight for that area when located where it is currently is and so you are not covering the majority of the porch, door etc.

noice

n3wb
Reaction score
Be aware, what Wittaj is suggesting is a 2nd camera, not trying to do all on one camera. The 5442 ZE is designed to be zoomed then fixed permanently. You will break it trying to zoom in all the time. As for your existing 5442 cam, that's a very good picture. Close up it will be full of grain and be blurry because once you start to blow up a picture, you reduce reduce the pixel density in effect and 4mp is not enough to blow up such a small area by 20-30 times. 2 cameras are needed. 1 for the porch and another for the road, Personally I'd look at my porch positioning as 3.6mm is way too tight for that area when located where it is currently is and so you are not covering the majority of the porch, door etc.
Based on where I can place it (under my door awning out of weather and direct sun), it looks like there is simply too much area to cover and will likely have to change the angle to focus my own door/steps. And then add a secondary camera to cover sidewalk/driveway. While the 5442 varifocal can focus but not constantly as you mentioned, I don't actually have a target point that I need to zoom in on per se. I was also looking into the Boob cam (IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2) to perhaps cover even more area albeit at a lesser distance, but at least that way I can look directly down to see packages without wasting the 5442 TM. Both are around the same price and I can only afford 1.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd stick with the 5442 over the 'boobie cam.' The latter is OK for what it is and can be put to good use in some cases but the low light performance of the 5442 is much, much better. You'll likely have to run IR to get acceptable moving video with the "boobie cam" and even then it's not all that great relative to the 5442. I swapped out a better cam for one to use at my front door thinking the same but that package view is probably my least useful. Kind of regret doing it. I know that I have packages being delivered from other cams. Don't really need to see something sitting there by itself. But mostly because I lost a lot performance looking out from the front door at night. Probably will change that out again at some point. Can move a little Wyze or other cheap cam there to just see packages.

Last edited: