IPC-T5442TM-AS: Want an API for Motion events / IVS events / Audio events

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Dahua camera (IPC-T5442TM-AS). Is it possible to have some kind of API that pushes events (motion events, IVS events, audio events) out to a server? The existing methods of recording to microSD card or sending an email seems kinda clunky. A MQTT publish event would be so much better.

I've seen people run an internal email server just to accomplish something like that. Are there better solutions?

Are the camera's motion detection or audio detection events good compared to, say, Blue Iris feature set? I've not used BI yet, and wanted to know if there's advantages there in terms of motion/object detection.

Pikczu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to convince the Dahua R&D team to implement MQTT into the cameras as standard.
It will help a lot with IVS alarms etc.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to have some kind of API that pushes events (motion events, IVS events, audio events) out to a server?
This can be accomplished with a specification of ONVIF called Pull Point. An app (like Blue Iris, ONVIF Device Manager, etc) or device (like a NVR) can "subscribe" to a camera's pull point and get instant notifications of alerts.

If you want an easy way to see this in action with your camera (and you're running Windows), install the ONVIF Device Manager app. If you select a camera, then select Events, the right column should update every time the camera detects events.

ODM.jpg

A MQTT publish event would be so much better.
In case you haven't seen this, a forum member wrote a Python tool that does that:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cameraevents-service-dahua-events-to-mqtt.36678/

Are the camera's motion detection or audio detection events good compared to, say, Blue Iris feature set?
IMO, Dahua camera's IVS (not motion detection) and Blue Iris' built-in motion detection can both be great. And what's nice about Blue Iris is that you can use either one (or both). Generally I think Blue Iris' built-in motion detection is way more configurable for harder-to-tune situations than the camera's built-in IVS, but I've got two of the newer Dahua models that have "AI", which basically means two new checkboxes in the IVS area that allow you to filter alerts to only if a person and/or vehicle is detected, and I love that feature.

I have one of my cameras set to use IVS + people filtering and it's been 99% spot-on. Blue Iris is a little less accurate on the same camera (90%?) ... where it goes off the rails for me is when we have sunny, windy days with white puffy clouds that make fast moving shadows. Blue Iris will frequently flag those moving shadows as motion whereas IVS on the camera doesn't.

Last edited:

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This can be accomplished with a specification of ONVIF called Pull Point. An app (like Blue Iris, ONVIF Device Manager, etc) or device (like a NVR) can "subscribe" to a camera's pull point and get instant notifications of alerts.

If you want an easy way to see this in action with your camera (and you're running Windows), install the ONVIF Device Manager app. If you select a camera, then select Events, the right column should update every time the camera detects events.

In case you haven't seen this, a forum member wrote a Python tool that does that:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cameraevents-service-dahua-events-to-mqtt.36678/
Thanks so much! That was really good info!