IPConfigure's Orchid (supports Rasberry Pi for free)

iammrbt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new the the forum and I wanted to point out a product that's pretty awesome that just came to my attention.

Essentially,

For around $50 you get can yourself a nice little rasberry pi setup and load it with IPConfigure's Orchid VMS with a few commands, connect it to a POE switch and some IP camera's that support ONVIF and you're good to go!

They have versions for Linux and Windows that you must pay for (via license per camera) but the Rasberian version is completely free, no camera or recording restrictions! I'm in heaven with it. I got a hold of an old Axis-210 and used the "generic RSTP onvif" setting and it works perfectly.

If anyone is interested in support they have a great community board or I'd be willing to help here.

Here is a link if allowed, if not kindly remove it: http://www.ipconfigure.com/orchid-community/d/11-getting-started

I should probably note, I don't work for IPConfigure. I'm an Sales Executive for a global security integrator, don't know if etiquette allows for names so I'll omit it. I'm a closet nerd and have fallen deep for IP video. Thank you for this forums I plan on visiting it frequently.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just started dabbling in the Raspberry Pi world. My first one was for a RetroPie gaming console. I'm back in 1992 gaming heaven.

I'm also in the process of making/modifying a BrewPi fermentation controller for my home brewing. I find it pretty impressive what they can do these days with such minimal components. And open forums make it so easy and simple.

iammrbt

n3wb
Reaction score
I completely agree, thanks for sharing! I've seen them used in variety of applications and they seem endless!

maxh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Are you still running Orchid VMS on Raspberry Pi? How is your experience so far?
I installed it (latest version 2.0) on RPi3 and currently running it with 3 Dahua 4PM at full resolution 15fps writing to external 4TB drive. It works great for saving video to the external drive, but I'm running into issues with motion detection. If I enable motion detection then Orchid tries to do it in software and I have long stretches of of red markings on the timeline. Cameras do their own motion detection and are able to upload snapshots to my ftp that is synced to OneDrive. I would think Orchid software would be smart enough to simply tap into these motion events/signals from the cameras and record/mark the timeline thus decreasing cpu usage. Also, replaying any video via Orchid's web interface is frustrating at the very least (again, most likely due to the web interface itself and weak cpu on RPi3).
I do like everything else about Orchid though and currently simply have all three cameras constantly record and rely on motion snapshots for timestamps in case I need to go back to review the video.

So how has your experience been with Orchid VMS on RPi?

Thanks,

Max