IPCT DDNS with Asus Routers - PROBLEM

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I happen to already have Asuswrt-Merlin loaded on my RT-AC68U so I thought I'd try using IPCT DDNS following THESE INSTRUCTIONS. I didn't have any problems and I got a "Registration is successful" at the end of the process. The only notable difference with my router was for DDNS I had the option to select either EXTERNAL or INTERNAL for "Method to retrieve WAN IP". I tried both since I was having a problem..but which one is it supposed to be?

The only other setup I did was to Export OpenVPN configuration file under the VPN Server tab of the VPN menu settings. With OpenVPN Connect installed on my Android phone I selected the connection type as OVPN Profile Connect with .ovpn file and I supplied the configuration file I previously exported from the Asus router. And yes, the phone is going through the cell phone tower not my WiFi.

I get a "Host not found" error. Any ideas on which other settings I need to look for on the Asus router?

Here's the log file from OpenVPN Connect on the Android phone:

16:23:07.152 -- ----- OpenVPN Start -----

16:23:07.153 -- EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ACTIVE

16:23:07.156 -- Frame=512/2048/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250

16:23:07.157 -- UNUSED OPTIONS
5 [ncp-ciphers] [AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC]
11 [resolv-retry] [infinite]
12 [nobind]

16:23:07.158 -- EVENT: RESOLVE

16:23:07.209 -- Transport Error: DNS resolve error on '
API KEY' for UDP session: Host not found (authoritative)

16:23:07.210 -- Client terminated, restarting in 2000 ms...

16:23:09.210 -- EVENT: RECONNECTING

16:23:09.227 -- EVENT: RESOLVE

16:23:09.261 -- Transport Error: DNS resolve error on '
API KEY' for UDP session: Host not found (authoritative)

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably have to get the DDNS working first then generate a new OpenVPN certificate and export/import it (delete the previous).

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I removed your API code from your post. Try doing what @Whoaru99 said and also please post or send a screenshot of your DDNS settings on the router. Make sure if you post it here to remove your API key.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
In a web browser I enter https://ipcamtalk.com/dyn?api='API KEY'

Web browers responds:
nochg
no change
97.X.X.X
<== this is my current dynamic assigned IP address from my ISP
If I ping 'myURL'.ipctddns.com I get:

SSH

JFFS

DDNS SCRIPT

ENABLE DDNS

VPN SETTINGS

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Your DDNS , JFFS and SSH settings look right, but change SSH to LAN only for security purposes (unless you plan on SSH'ing remotely). The nochg error means your subdomain did not change IP addresses, so that is a confirmation the request was sent and received. Also looks like the URL is pinging.

Silly question but did you modify the .ovpn file with the new hostname?

I use my Synology for my VPN so I can't confirm the VPN settings, hopefully someone else can chime in for that.

For "Method to retrieve WAN IP" I have Internal set on mine. I updated the screenshot in the wiki to reflect this (this is a fake API key)

upload_2019-2-28_15-40-29.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The .ovpn configuration file was imported into OpenVPN exactly as it was exported by the ASUS router.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to use your hostname here: whatever.ipctddns.com
I had tried that yesterday as an experiment and it didn't work but maybe I had another setting off so I'll try again but the instructions for IPCT DDNS stated to use the API key.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
The instructions don't say use the API key in the VPN file, only in the DDNS settings in the router. The VPN file needs to have the hostname (URL or IP), not the API key.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The instructions don't say use the API key in the VPN file, only in the DDNS settings in the router. The VPN file needs to have the hostname (URL or IP), not the API key.
That make sense to me...maybe we should specify in the directions that after the .ovpn file is exported from the router to edit the host name and change it from the API key to whatever.ipctddns.com

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
That make sense to me...maybe we should specify in the directions that after the .ovpn file is exported from the router to edit the host name and change it from the API key to whatever.ipctddns.com
The directions say nothing about a VPN, they have nothing to do with setting up a VPN. I suppose I could put a note regarding about this in the setup though, in case other people come across the same thing. Thanks :ipct:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I went back to modifying the .ovpn hostname file plus "Method to retrieve WAN IP" was changed back to 'internal' and SSH was change to "LAN only" instead of both. Looks like I made progress as now OpenVPN Connect is showing it's connecting to whatever.ipct.ddns.com with the correct IP address. Unfortunately I'm now getting a "Server poll timeout". So I'm off to the next issue...LOL! I thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I forgot to turn WiFi off on my phone (I'm at home). It's working fine now.....LOL!