iPhone 6S as a 4k Surveillance Camera

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use the Apple iPhone 6S as a 4K daytime only surveillance camera by streaming it to your PC or server?

There are apps such as Presence and many others. (Some of the apps allow you to stream from your iPhone to your pc or surveillance server - not just to another iDevice). Curious what kind of frame rates people are getting with the iPhone 6S 4K stream or if anyone is actively using the iPhone 6 4K stream as part of your surveillance system.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/presence-free-smart-home-motion/id618598211?mt=8

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Over the Thanksgiving break, I set up my old Samsung GS3 as an IP cam watching my living room while we were away on vacation. No worries of entry, just to amuse myself. It worked a treat! Well, until it got dark...methinks an IR blaster could fix that. I used the android app called Alfred:
http://www.my-alfred.com/
Was fun, and makes great use out of retired phones with decent specs.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What kind of frame rates were you getting? (Most daytime cameras don't have a true IR cut filter so they wouldn't be optimal for night time, but daytime should be just fine if the frame rates are good.)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't test...was just surprised it worked as well as it did. Was a few seconds delay over LTE, and fast motion was indeed choppy, but it looked quite good to me...MUCH better than 'baby monitor' quality. In fact, I think I'll mention it to a new father, come to think of it.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't test...was just surprised it worked as well as it did. Was a few seconds delay over LTE, and fast motion was indeed choppy, but it looked quite good to me...MUCH better than 'baby monitor' quality. In fact, I think I'll mention it to a new father, come to think of it.
Did you ever try it over a regular wi-fi network? I would think LTE would introduce some lag.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you ever try it over a regular wi-fi network? I would think LTE would introduce some lag.
Yep. Set it up on wifi, verified it worked, then switched back to LTE. I'm unlimited LTE, so I don't normally keep my phone on wifi...my LTE is MUCH faster than my home connection. I also did NOT try out the audio (supposedly two-way capable?) but that could be handy if you did have intruders, but were out of cam's view, you could still hear them, and tell them they're recorded on camera and the po-po is on the way.