IPVM 4MP Shootout - Dahua vs Hikvision

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you John!!!
Your posting is very kind as we were eager for a full Dahua vs Hikvision 4MP headon shootout on plain level field and even grounds.
Your test seems to deliver just that. That shootout comparison looks very interesting! You just made a lot of friends :)

From this snippet I obviously conclude that Hikvision WDR low light image quality looks amazingly clearer than Dahua's (while the Dahua daytime image looks slightly better than Hikvisions imo).

Some questions i still have:

- Were the FoV of both cameras evaluated in the test and found the same? Or did one camera have a wider FoV (while the lenses wete the same)?

- Were the firmware functionalities/capabilities of both camera's also evaluated in the test (eg motion detection, line crossing, nas recording, scheduled configurations etc)?

- Will the Hikvision and Dahua 4MP turrets have the same test results? Or do the turrets use different image components than the tested cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you John!!!
Your posting is very kind as we were eager for a full Dahua vs Hikvision 4MP headon on plain level field and even grounds.
Your test seems to deliver just that. That shootout comparison looks very interesting! You just made a lot of friends :)

From this snippet I obviously conclude that Hikvision WDR low light image quality looks clearer than Dahua's (i think the daytime image of Hikvision looks better too but some contrast tuning could change that)

- Were the FOV of both cameras the same?

- Were the firmware functionalities/capabilities of both camera's also evaluated in the test?

- Do you think the Hikvision and Dahua 4MP turrets will have the same test results? Or do the turrets use different image components than the tested cameras?
The HIKs have such a low data rate means many pixels are the same, detail is lost

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score

- Were the FoV of both cameras evaluated in the test and found the same? Or did one camera have a wider FoV (while the lenses wete the same)?

- Were the firmware functionalities/capabilities of both camera's also evaluated in the test (eg motion detection, line crossing, nas recording, scheduled configurations etc)?

- Will the Hikvision and Dahua 4MP turrets have the same test results? Or do the turrets use different image components than the tested cameras?
Yes, of course, the FoVs were both the same. There's no point in doing a test where the FoVs are different as the results will be fundamentally skewed.

The test was on comparative image quality and bandwidth in full light, low light and WDR; no VMD, etc. We only tested the one form factor. Typically, though, image quality is essentially the same for other products in the same series / class as the imaging components remain constant in different housings.

weslyr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks John.

Were the firmware capabilities also evaluated in a test?

Most "Dahua vs Hikvision" discussions here talk about those two factors: image quality and firmware/software

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
John-ipvm,

Do you have any histogram comparision data? its a great way to compare apples.

Construct

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the highlights, john-ipvm.

According to the summary, i appears that the Dahua tends toward higher bitrates across the board, and apparently it does better in regards to IR overexposure than the Hikvision. But the attached picture shows the Hikvision producing a vastly better image in what I'm assuming is the dark test along the bottom row.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

According to the summary, i appears that the Dahua tends toward higher bitrates across the board, and apparently it does better in regards to IR overexposure than the Hikvision. But the attached picture shows the Hikvision producing a vastly better image in what I'm assuming is the dark test along the bottom row.
Yes you raise a good point, that's why its important to have histogram data, to see how the Pixels fit in the range. on HIK, the image and bitrate in dark don't add up.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Can we therefore declare the Hikvision the winner due to its low light superiority? :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure, hikvision is the superior when your comparing color images in zero light viewing fixed objects.. exactly what nobody does.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wonder why the comparison test didn't include IR?