IR Day and night - 5231Z-RE

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Folks

My infrared does not switch automatically and remains in color mode through the night. I wanted to get to black and white mode at 7:00 p.m. but the time may differ in the summer months. Is there any functionality within the camera console to adjust based on sunrise and sunset time. J don't have the nvr and use blue Iris

Thx

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the "schedule" profile if you want to switch between color and B&W at a certain time.

If it didnt change to B&W it's because either you have enough ambient light and the sensor didnt think it dark enough to switch or you dont have something set right.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any function to accommodate for sunrise/sunset times since they vary widely between summer and winter? Or should I simply set it to a day/night profile with day being 7am-7pm and then the sensors will be intelligent enough in June for e.g. here in the north east to stay in color (non-IR mode) till about 8pm

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the "schedule" profile if you want to switch between color and B&W at a specific time.
scheduleprofile.jpg

Use Standard Day/Night if you want to rely on the light sensor to determine when to switch. Also under Day/Night set this to Auto
day-night-auto.jpg

It wont be perfect. It will depend on the light sensor and the sensitivity you choose.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok got it - the problem is my day/night doesn't switch to IR automatically at all since there is some ambient street light. Are there any options I can tune to make this day/night work

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There is the sensitivity setting when you choose B&W under DayNight but that's it. Otherwise I'd use Schedule. I have to adjust it 3-4 times per year but it only take 30 seconds so I don't mind.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, right. Looks like you have two choices, 1) make the change on sensitivity while on Schedule then save and flip to Day/Night and it seems to hold it.
2) just use schedule and Auto and choose your sensitivity. That should accomplish similar thing.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed sensitivity to high but all cameras are stuck in color mode

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more - can you take a look at this image and suggest how do I reduce the glare in the middle of the pic? It almost looks like the IR is reflecting upon itself. I have smart IR and BLC turned on

1600224594691.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah the glare is from IR reflection off that middle bush.

Lots of threads about this. You can try manual IR and adjust down, Or try using HLC not BLC, maybe 60-70 and experiment.

Also can try adjusting Gain lower and running a bit faster shutter (1/60-1/120) which will darken the overall image but help reduce motion blur.

So it’s trial and error but those are some of the ways to tone down IR. Lots of cams have that hotspot in the middle it can be frustrating.

Also test with someone moving in the scene. Don’t rely on a static image. See what you get with movement. It can be very different.