IR Illuminator Installation

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m planning to run some IR illuminators around the house. We have no street lights and it can get quite dark. I was planning on installing the illuminator on the eave. What is everyone else doing? I’ve attached my camera mounts (pfa-130) to aluminum stock and tucked those in the eaves. Should I do the same with the IR? Do I need a junction box/mounting box? I plan on powering via POE using a POE splitter that was recommended here so I am a bit concerned with the connection being exposed.

Thanks in advance!

Erick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I mount my IRs using the same method with flat aluminum stock to span the soffit and tuck the wire into a groove of the soffit. I power mine with a separate 18/2 or 16/2, depending on run length, cable to supply power. The pigtail on the IRs is long enough to allow the barrel connector to be properly taped and tucked above the soffit.

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
One more question. If I end up not powering via POE and run a 16/2 or 18/2 wire, are there any issues running those low voltage wires in the same conduit as my Ethernet from the attic to the basement? I know running the Ethernet next to standard 110v lines can cause issues.

I do have multiple 1 1/4” conduit that I’ve run and right now have one empty non one side and 3 on the other.

Thanks!

Erick

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One more question. If I end up not powering via POE and run a 16/2 or 18/2 wire, are there any issues running those low voltage wires in the same conduit as my Ethernet from the attic to the basement? I know running the Ethernet next to standard 110v lines can cause issues.
Shouldn't be a problem for safety since it is carrying the same low voltage, but on an actually thicker and better insulated wire. If anything it will be safer because of that (less chance of overheating due to too many amps). And for interference it is a non issue. In a PoE system, the power can literally share the same wires as the data without causing interference.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m planning to run some IR illuminators around the house. We have no street lights and it can get quite dark. I was planning on installing the illuminator on the eave. What is everyone else doing? I’ve attached my camera mounts (pfa-130) to aluminum stock and tucked those in the eaves. Should I do the same with the IR? Do I need a junction box/mounting box? I plan on powering via POE using a POE splitter that was recommended here so I am a bit concerned with the connection being exposed.

Thanks in advance!

Erick

Check these out: Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator. | IP Cam Talk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have people had luck with the POE splitter to power a camera and external IR?

I tested the old analog cable hoping I could use that to power an IR where I used to have an analog camera on the 2nd story (before I knew better LOL), and the LEDs were significantly underpowered.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have people had luck with the POE splitter to power a camera and external IR?

I tested the old analog cable hoping I could use that to power an IR where I used to have an analog camera on the 2nd story (before I knew better LOL), and the LEDs were significantly underpowered.
Anything over 4 watts, I would not use a POE splitter.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just use a CMR rated cable. 12VDC is still low voltage and it's DC to boot so no significant electromagnetic induction will happen at all.

Last edited:

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
My original plan was to use the splitter and ONLY power the IR with that. I’d have 2 Ethernet runs to the location, 1 for the camera and 1 for the IR light. After a bit more reading and education on my part, I’m going to run to 16/2 wire to each location I plan to place an IR. I was originally overthinking it, not having or wanting to run 110 to those locations. Being able to run the 12v wire in my conduit makes it much easier. Plus, it takes some of the load off of my switch.

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score