IR illuminator

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Howdy

I am new to the ip camera world and we just recently purchased 3 ip camera since our cars got stuff stolen from it. (It was unlock however after installing the cams, we got a video of someone trying to open doors of our locked cars the last week)

The camera are working great with it own motion detect however bugs, rains, and falling leaves are triggering it off which I can understand since anything up close to the camera look bigger on screen and IR are reflecting off the bugs etc.

I contacted the dealer and they said to get an IR Illumanitor and mount it a couple of feets away from the camera then disable the IR built in the cameras.

After researching on Amazon there seem to be several different type of IR illuminator, we not sure which ones to go with so we thought we would ask on forum and maybe some kind folks would chime in and post their experience on IR with us to help us which ones to get?

Here a couple of links from Amazon that we looked at ...

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR3-WideAngle-Degree-Illuminator/dp/B008GTAPSO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415386941&sr=8-4&keywords=ir+illuminator

http://www.amazon.com/Univivi-U03R-WideAngle-Degree-Illuminator/dp/B00M3NHCC6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1415386941&sr=8-3&keywords=ir+illuminator

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-48-LED-Infrared-Vision-Illuminator/dp/B0067S8IZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415386941&sr=8-1&keywords=ir+illuminator

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR56-Outdoor-Illuminator-Adapter/dp/B00EDRMWVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415386941&sr=8-2&keywords=ir+illuminator

and a big 114 led one at

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1415386941&sr=8-5&keywords=ir+illuminator

We notice you could either choose smaller more leds like 48 / 55 leds per unit or go with bigger leds that only have 3 or 4 leds per unit. Does those 3 or 4 bigger leds shine more brighter than the 48 or 56 smaller leds version?

Our current camera led does glow red but very soft and barely visible. Will those IR illuminator will have about the same glow or it will be more brighter?

Any input or feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=399
There's a review on these forums, search for it.. its the best one I have seen at a comfortable cost.

Your still going to get false alarms with video motion, but this will help alot with the bugs and spiders.. Rarely can you use Video motion outdoors for notification purposes because they are so noisy you will surely ignore a real event, you need to use physical sensors for reliable notification without any false alarms.

if the IR spotlight is visible glow that is a good thing IMHO, as it draws attention away from your camera thats now dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I purchased two of the model that looks very similar to the http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-48-LED-I...ir+illuminator but I got mine from AliExpress.com for about $8.43 USD each including shipping. They work ok for the dollars. I would suggest you get two or three so you can direct the light to where you need it. I still get problems with Moths and Spiders.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased two of the model that looks very similar to the http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-48-LED-I...ir+illuminator but I got mine from AliExpress.com for about $8.43 USD each including shipping. They work ok for the dollars. I would suggest you get two or three so you can direct the light to where you need it. I still get problems with Moths and Spiders.

Did you disable the IR on your cameras? I would assume that would lure the moths and spiders away from your camera to the IR illuminators.

That one of reason why I wanted to get an IR illuminators to disable the IRs on my camera and place the IR away from the cameras.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the cheap sub $10 ones have a very marginal performance, especially compared to what ive seen out of that wrightwood one.

but yeah the point is to disable onboard IR, then there is nothing but heat off the camera to attract bugs and the surrounding area should mask that.. except when its cold and then there are no bugs about.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Bill,
I have left my camera's IR lights running mainly because the lens is set very wide so I need every bit of light I can get at night.

I found that having a number of IR lights allowed me to balance the spread of light over a wide area. Then you don't get bright spots that are over lit. I found this a problem with having just one IR light that I started off with. I did try the camera without the IR lights turned on.

I think you will find the moths and spiders are still going to be visible to the camera but less prominent. The bugs don't seem to be overly attracted to the lights but are noticeable because they are reflective.

My IR lights are located about 2 metres away from the camera.

At less than nine dollars each no harm in buying two or three to try out. If they malfunction I would just replace them.

Hope this helps

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah of course there still visible, but since they are less likely to crawl on the lens or fly up close to the camera with the IR off.
This makes it much easier for video motion detection to cope with the bugs, it can ignore a few pixels changing when the bugs are far away vs large portion of the detection zone when they are ontop of the cam. There is also the down side if you install one right near a door you might not like the extra bugs and spiders hanging out when you come/go.

a bug zapper is the best way to get rid of the bugs.. and lure them away from your entrances/cameras.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah of course there still visible, but since they are less likely to crawl on the lens or fly up close to the camera with the IR off.
This makes it much easier for video motion detection to cope with the bugs, it can ignore a few pixels changing when the bugs are far away vs large portion of the detection zone when they are ontop of the cam. There is also the down side if you install one right near a door you might not like the extra bugs and spiders hanging out when you come/go.

a bug zapper is the best way to get rid of the bugs.. and lure them away from your entrances/cameras.
I agree with this and another reason to disable onboard IR if your using video to reduce the chance of IR reflecting off the rains. We need to keep in mind that anything reflecting up close to the cameras look bigger which is enough to trigger the motion alarm.

From what I been researching that buying an IR illuminator that highly recommend seem to give good coverage that one would enough and allow you to disable the onboard IR.

You could buy 3 or 4 lesser brand for 10 buck a piece and probably get equal coverage with 1 that cost 50 bucks and use less electricity since your only powering one IR illiumator instead of 3 or 4. Easier to mount 1 too.

I am going with what my research showed me and get one of those 50 dollar illiumator also disable the onboard IR as well too.

Thank you for all your inputs and feedbacks, it cool having everyone sharing their experiences and information with others.

Bill

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely correct -better than any number of IR illuminators, I installed a Flowtron BK-80 at the left corner of my house and poof - no more flying bugs anywhere on the property. Spiders will go buy buy too because there is no flying food (or they will set up at the zapper - lol). Seriously this is the best solution - it will amaze you (it did tme), even the bugs behind the house were gone - it really has extreeme range. I used a woods 2001 timer to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn so the whole thing is automatic.

Old school bug zappers are the best, it is one of the best purchases I made (the bugs were horrible before that). :cool:

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it flies it dies, although June bugs have a hard time getting thru the grill to the zapper because of their size and wingspan - doesn't stop them from trying. If you read the reviews on the product some people don't have success with a certain bug they're trying to eliminate in their area (and they make chemical lures you can use with it), however here in Memphis, TN where I live it takes them all out. :D

Originally I got it to kill the mesquitos around here (because they just loved biting my wife), the camera clarity was a bonus. :cool:

mrgto26

n3wb
Reaction score
I strongly believe that the best thing security cameras can do is deter thieves, I don't want my cameras to find out who broke a window, stole my Christmas lights or is throwing garbage in my garbage cans, I rather make them visible so vandals or lousy neighbors stay away and target another unprotected home. I put strobe lights on mine and if I wanted to catch someone on my cameras I would just install a motion detection security light ($14 at Menards) by the object I want to protect. Just might opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I strongly believe that the best thing security cameras can do is deter thieves, I don't want my cameras to find out who broke a window, stole my Christmas lights or is throwing garbage in my garbage cans, I rather make them visible so vandals or lousy neighbors stay away and target another unprotected home. I put strobe lights on mine and if I wanted to catch someone on my cameras I would just install a motion detection security light ($14 at Menards) by the object I want to protect. Just might opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
which model(s) are you using?