IR light - 5 model comparison

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by genesant, Jul 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Young grasshopper

I bought all mine off ebay, although the seller is long gone. I've had 1 10W led fail (out of 6), in 3 years (now replaced from another ebay seller) and my 30W LED is still as good as new after 4 years. Not branded so not sure who made them.

I also always buy lights and a separate PIR which I usually buy from a recognised company such as Screwfix. That way, when the PIR wears out, which they inevitably do, you only have to swap out the PIR not a whole light that's otherwise working. PIR's are cheap - less than a tenner, and in my experience last 3-5 years before the range reduces and they need changing.

2. weigle2

weigle2 Pulling my weight

Based on your excellent review, I went ahead and ordered (1) CMvision CM6, #4 in the comparison. I also ordered a rather odd IR LED light, just to test out. It's this model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZYG89D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 4 LED's with some kind of filter to prevent hot spots. I ordered this to test out and I'm hoping it will work fine as a 'fill' IR to cover a pretty small area. At any rate, I'll post pics when I can.

3. TheSwede

TheSwede n3wb

Nice comparision, thanks for that.

940nm !
    I just tested a 940nm IR light I bought earlier on a Dahua 5231 Starlight, Nice !
    On other cameras the 940 was low light compared to 850 but the 5231 is more sensitive to 940 so it is good enough.

I bought a FELT 9W 940nm IR illuminator 60degree who is running on 220v and the range is about 5-10 meters.

Brgds TheSwede

4. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

5. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Known around here

@GFM it looks like the illuminator is to the far right and aimed down at the ground?

6. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

Yes. It's maybe 20-25' to the right and up about 12'. That was a very dark area before, now lots of light right up to the trees and the weather station.

7. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

You are getting IR reflection from the soffit with the cams IR. That is causing the whitesh glare in the picture.

It's possibly also causing the cams exposure to be worse than it would be without the reflection.

8. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

Certainly could be. Not sure how I could still get a decent view of the edge of the lawn if I lower the angle any more than that. Also snow on the ground is likely reflecing too causing the auto exposure to cut back. I'll post a picture without the camera's IR for interest's sake.

9. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

This is with the IR off:

_IRoff (Medium).jpg

10. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Lower the cam a bit away from the soffit with a junction box or such, or move it closer to the fascia.