IR light reflections? Erase it.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes there is only one place you can put your camera and there is an obstruction in the way, producing IR light reflections at night. I had a problem with a tree trunk and figured, how about trying some flat black spray paint to absorb reflected light. Obviously you don't want to paint everything flat black that is in your way, but you could always use a darker color for accent painting or use a dark/black cloth to cover obstacles.

First pic is a shot zoomed out more w/o paint.
IR Reflection off Tree.PNG

Second pic is light coat of paint on bottom and a heavier coat on the top. I zoomed the camera in more to eliminate one trunk but still have one to contend with.
partial paint IR reflection.PNG

Third pic is trunk fully (lightly) painted in the FOV. I only painted the one side towards the camera, so you can not see anything while out in the yard. There is also more external IR lighting added in this pic, which would produce more reflection. Actually, when I am standing on the camera side and looking at the painted trunk, it does not stand out that much in daylight. Don't ask me why I can not move camera, it cannot be moved.
Full paint.PNG