IR Night Light

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm probably searching Google with the wrong search terms, so I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, if it even exists.
I need to illuminate some dark areas of the house (corners of rooms) where my cameras' IR light doesn't quite do the job. I would like to find an IR illuminator that plugs directly into an 110 outlet versus the type of illuminator (see photo) that requires a power supply. I see plenty of dusk to dawn LED night lights that would probably work, but I prefer IR. I'm counting on the added IR to reflect off walls in order to really brighten the scene. Has anyone seen something like I'm describing? Links and photos welcome. Thank you.

51NpwfrebjL._SX342_.jpg

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL that may burn out your retinas if you look at it! I look forward to seeing this at work in one of your applications! Thanks Nayr, but I don't need anything for industrial purposes and still looking for a "plug-in" type IR illuminator without the need for a power supply....like a household night light. I need to brighten two areas of the house and this basement area is one of them.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Beep, I would just use an led bulb on a dimmer...low power, better result.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh i see, why wont a normal night light work? I have built-in receptacle ones in all my hallways, so they dont obstruct traffic and get beatup... they are dimmable, you press the light and it dims down, then again it goes up.. got em at my local hardware store.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Beep, I would just use an led bulb on a dimmer...low power, better result.
I'm a little slow on the uptake Fenderman--do you mean put an LED bulb into an existing ceiling fixture, then change the wall switch to a dimmer switch?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
oh i see, why wont a normal night light work? I have built-in receptacle ones in all my hallways, so they dont obstruct traffic and get beatup... they are dimmable, you press the light and it dims down, then again it goes up.. got em at my local hardware store.
Do you mean something like this? A dimmable dusk to dawn night light (with photocell)?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little slow on the uptake Fenderman--do you mean put an LED bulb into an existing ceiling fixture, then change the wall switch to a dimmer switch?
Yes, or even leave it at full power..if the fixture has a single bulb you are talking 7-9w for 8 hours a night..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^this, my son started complaining about the dark so I put a dimmer switch (z-wave) in his room, he sleeps with it @ 5% and my camera in his room has been much happier.

have it setup with a few timers, works nicely indoors.