IR not working on older camera- IR filter stuck.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A tip for anyone who may find a camera doesn't work with IR light at night, if your IR LED's are coming on it's most likely the IR filter stuck closed. I just had it happen in a 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I that I'd been using locked in colour 24/7 for a couple of years.

I pulled it apart and tried checking for the voltage on the filter assembly pins but couldn't detect anything. It turns out the filter opening/ closing must use a voltage pulse - that's why I couldn't get a voltage. The wires on the filter in mine were black and red making it appear the polarity matters, but I discovered the voltage is reversed to control the opening/ closing. A 1.5V battery wouldn't operate the filter, so I tried a 3.7V lithium battery and it would open/ close the filter fine with me reversing the polarity each time. I then reassembled the camera and it now works fine. Lack of use must have stuck the filter.

Measuring the filter wires I also got around 22 Ohms. If it's measures higher/ open circuit then it's likely dead.