IR pass thru Fabric

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing fabric that passes 850nm but appears opaque in visible light. I would apply this to the inside of my birdhouse, covering the hole of the entrance. I know this fabric exists, but I do not know the terminology to identify it or sellers who carry it.

I've got a birdhouse cam with a Hik ds-2cd2t42wd-i8 4mm stashed in it, sits right by the road to read plates for any cars entering my cul-de-sac, with the help of openalpr. The IR is obvious of course at night which is fine, however I would like the camera inside to be less obvious by daylight.

TIA

Last edited:

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
This is brand new, temporary setup at the moment, wires are pinned down but not buried yet at this time. The cam is mounted in the birdhouse hanging from a sheperds hook behind my mailbox - the box in front of the truck here is my neighbors mailbox for reference, so cam is less than 5ft from the street.

But here's a sample plate with my current setup:

The capture range is very small with this cam - it's a 4mm so not the ideal camera for this application (I was capturing with a starlight PTZ from ~150ft, but I want it back for other uses). Field of view is too wide, so getting cars heading in the other direction on far side of street is possible, but stretching the limits.

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I will look closer at that and might try it. I've heard of others using fabric for this. I'm concerned acrylic may cause glare, similar to why dome cameras are avoided for LPR.