IR Test for Windows

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know of a simple tester that would test the amount of IR light a window blocks and provide that data in a readout of some kind, or percentage scale?

Maybe something similar to what police use to determine how much light tinted vehicle windows allow through.
http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Labs-Window-Meter-Enforcer/dp/B00GT5ULB8

Looking for something much lower priced than the Tint Meter Enforcer, if it exists for IR.

I have some cameras in windows where the cameras are in the window sill facing outside. The IR illuminators are outside, but some of the illumination is blocked from the built in IR protection that most home windows come with. I'm curious what the exact percentage of blocked IR is for this type of situation. Some of the cams are in windows that don't open so it's hard to do regular visual tests to see how much IR is getting swallowed from the windows, plus I'd like to the know the exact percentages.

These windows are cheap generic junk and it's hard enough just to get a model #, let alone the IR blocking specs for the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wouldent it be easier just to take a snapshot, open the window, take another snapshot and compare the two? or do you always attack a simple problem with a complex solution? exact percentages of IR blockage, thats only something an OCD mind would ever think of.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wouldent it be easier just to take a snapshot, open the window, take another snapshot and compare the two? or do you always attack a simple problem with a complex solution? exact percentages of IR blockage, thats only something an OCD mind would ever think of.
These windows don't open (just little rectangle windows in a kitchen nook). I also mounted the cameras in an extremely haphazard way, sort of temporary but sort of permanent until I find a better solution. So if I breath near the cams or even think too hard by them, the cams (connected to the same mounting) will move and break all the painfully crafted shadow masks on both cams, wires will come un-tucked, and I'll then have to perform a RainMan style dance (or two) getting the views of both cams back to normal. The mounting brackets on each cam is a whole other issue. I will eventually move them once I get a better (nail-less) mounting solution. Presently using a very make-shifty nail-less mounting solution that sucks in major ways. Need to replace it with something that has a heavy base, so it doesn't shift all the time. Even bumping one of the networking cables can make the whole assembly move. The whole setup at the moment is truly a house of cards and that is no exaggeration.

But OCD...I am the poster child for OCD. If you look up the acronym OCD in the dictionary, you'll see my picture. :) I don't rank high at very many things, but I am ranked #1 for OCD.

But mainly, I'm just curious about the specification for IR blocking in windows. I have to replace my kitchen windows soon and want to know the specs a little just to become familiar with them. If my current windows are blocking say, 20% of IR, I'll make sure the new ones block 0%, or whatever the lowest available is. I read once that most house windows have a certain amount for safety reasons but in a north facing location, the specs could probably be lower than average. But also, if it turns out that my windows are blocking that 20% or so of IR, I can then fantasize about how good the camera images will look once the new windows are in place and I may replace them sooner.

OCD is the real problem though. It's the same reason I don't like to ever put extra nails in the walls unless I have no choice. I know I should probably just get my OCD under control someday, because, unfortunately, many times I do work problems backwards like this. It can be challenging and frustrating at the same time. Every purchase I make, most people would be like, just nail it to the wall. Instead I do crazy workarounds to avoid nailing items to the walls, inside or outside the house. I purchase more freestanding items, If I have choice between a wall mounted shelf versus a mounted to the wall unit, I always choose the freestanding solution.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
uh, you want your windows to block IR and UV or else your furniture, drapery and carpets will suffer.

why dont you put them outside like a sane person?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
uh, you want your windows to block IR and UV or else your furniture, drapery and carpets will suffer.

why dont you put them outside like a sane person?

Only the constantly closed blinds would suffer because I never look out of those windows or ever have them view-able from the outside in, otherwise strangers could see in my house. But also, there is no direct sunlight coming in those windows because of how the house is angled. I don't even think the window sill woodwork would suffer because there is never any sunlight in that location.

I don't put them outside for a couple reasons, one is, I am insane, and even though they say that insane people never mention they are insane, sometimes, they do. But also, one of the main reasons is because I don't want to draw attention to the cams, people act differently around cams, getting them outside can sometimes require drilling holes in the house. If I'm not going to pound nails in the house, I will most definitely not drill holes in the house. Also, I like to adjust some of my cameras quite frequently and I don't want to be outside all the time doing that. Also, spider webs. I do however, keep my IR illuminators outside, and that's a whole other issue that drives me even more insane. :)

Fortunately, they look more like garden lighting so I think they can pass for people thinking they are just garden or night time low lighting of some kind. Who knows, maybe they realize they are only IR illuminators, but many illuminators are square and the average person might not think they look like surveillance gear, but you never know.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
at least the voices in your head are keeping you busy and entertained, nothing wrong with that... as long as nobody gets hurt ;)

people are oblivious to cameras now days, they might have behaved differently a few decades ago.. but now you cant go anywhere without them being in your face, so they just blend into the background and nobody notices.. Ive seen one person in 2 years take notice of the cameras, heck even so called security professional lost his job because he failed to see the camera right infront of his face when he decided to lie through his teeth and then talk shit behind my back.

Ive always had a camera on my door, for the last 15 years at least.. never seen anyone look at it, who looks up? everyone looking down at there smartphone.

sooo, adding extra IR and replacing windows just so you dont have to drill a hole or venture outside.. hrmm, im trying to get on the crazy train but its already off the tracks.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
at least the voices in your head are keeping you busy and entertained, nothing wrong with that... as long as nobody gets hurt ;)

people are oblivious to cameras now days, they might have behaved differently a few decades ago.. but now you cant go anywhere without them being in your face, so they just blend into the background and nobody notices.. Ive seen one person in 2 years take notice of the cameras, heck even so called security professional lost his job because he failed to see the camera right infront of his face when he decided to lie through his teeth and then talk shit behind my back.

sooo, adding extra IR and replacing windows just so you dont have to drill a hole or venture outside.. hrmm, im trying to get on the crazy train but its already off the tracks.
I wish I didn't have the voices though. I will admit the voices take up a ton of my time, and time moves like spiders over the face of the clock. I over-analyze and overthink problems until I run out of time. It's a constant cycle that is difficult for me to break out of.

I would agree that *most* people are oblivious. But just a few months back I was driving a block away from the house and noticed a strategically placed camera on a neighbors house. Almost hidden, but not quite. I noticed it, and I act differently on that street now... I imagine others might act similar if they noticed my cams. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it is something I think about... But also, even if I were to have a cam outside, IR that comes with cameras is usually never enough for large areas. I always need way more than the amount that comes with the cameras (some nicer recent ones have enough). I usually like to flood the neighborhood just a little bit. And also, (for older and non-LED camera attached IR), it's the spiders. They made a video about them:
In fact, ever since I saw the neighbors camera, I have considered going over there and playing with it. Some nights when it's about 2AM, I think about dressing up as Spider-Man and going out there and doing a few dances for the camera, and then maybe putting a small dog turd in a balloon, filling it up with helium and attaching it to the camera with some piano wire (or hanging an oversized used tampon on the camera, whichever is more readily available). Nothing damaging of course, just a little prank maybe. You can't tell me you've never thought about doing the exact same thing. :)

This is the one I want, but it looks a little tight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosplay-Red-Lycra-Spandex-Spiderman-Zentai-Suit-Jumpsuit-Costumes-Fancy-Dress-/121989066711?var=&hash=item1c671d6fd7:m:mDOlKag-ebpQ_6Qnh9LLtGA

Well, the windows are 23 years old. They are probably needing to be replaced anyway. But when I do replace them, I want them to be perfect for my surveillance system.

:nuts: What tracks? :nuts:

Train-Wreck-1.jpg

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.