IR too bright for items up close, losing detail

Boomcha

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have to double check my SMART IR settings still but I just wanted to get some feedback on an issue I'm having. Currently my camera (Hikvision 2132) is doing this (see image) when someone walks up the stairs to my front door. The IR is too bright and it's losing detail on faces, etc. I plan on adding additional IR lights for the stuff in the back (car and driveway). I thought it was due to the IR hitting the brick wall slightly on the lower right. Perhaps I need to rotate the camera a little bit left but it then will point more at the aluminum fascia on the top left.

I think I have might SMART IR on but I will double check tonight when I get back to the house and report but any tips are appreciated.

Attachments

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick question: have you thought about supplementing this with those outside lights? A 40W LED equivalent bulb will cost you around a half dollar per month left on 24/7 at average US electricity rates. Point being even if you had a couple of 60W for example and maybe on a timer it would cost very little to juice up your night vision appreciably. Also has a likely repulsing effect on undesirables approaching your door to begin with.

Boomcha

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi LittleBrother, just above the white mailbox on the right side there is an outdoor light on a night to dawn sensor. It is very bright so its causing a bunch of lens flare and visual artifacts, I've already bought a replacement fixture that will point down instead of up so it hopefully will reduce the flaring. I've had that light off for the time since I've had the camera there because full darkness was looking better than with light. In the driveway I have a very bright light on a sensor as well.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi LittleBrother, just above the white mailbox on the right side there is an outdoor light on a night to dawn sensor. It is very bright so its causing a bunch of lens flare and visual artifacts, I've already bought a replacement fixture that will point down instead of up so it hopefully will reduce the flaring. I've had that light off for the time since I've had the camera there because full darkness was looking better than with light. In the driveway I have a very bright light on a sensor as well.
That should be perfect. I did see the light. Why not put some aluminum foil or a piece of card board in the fixture now to see how that would change things? The bright light shining essentially right at the lens is definitely going to throw it for a loop. If you can just cover up the light so that it's not able to shoot directly at the lens I bet it will help a lot.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not try putting the light on and keeping the camera in day mode at night to see how good the image is in color without ir on at all.

Boomcha

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera actually switches to day mode when the light comes so it doesn't look good. The wife doesn't like the fixture anymore and making it uglier (adding foil) will bring thunder on me so I'll try and see what it does, etc.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you need to play with exposure to get rid of the blur and gain settings to balance the light on the face once you can actually see an unblurred face :). lower the gain, try changing exposure from 1/3 to 1/6 then further. you will have to play with it.

Boomcha

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I played with it and I have at a stop where it looks good.