IR TV remote controlling Hikvision NVR

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive done a search of the forums but can't see anything with regards this.

I have a HDMI over CAT6 with IR passthrough and a local monitor which I view my cameras on. Ive only just got round to setting up the IR blasters so I can control my NVR which is in the loft downstairs with the remote. Works great but when I change channel on my tv it sends a signal to the NVR which adjusts the view on the NVR.

Is there anything I can do about this? ideally I want to keep the remote as its pretty handy.

Thanks

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you mean, the original tv remote is affecting the nvr commands?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It could also be that this particular TV uses some of the same encoding as the NVR uses, and I don't see an easy workaround for that.

We had a small TV in our kitchen, a few years ago, that would turn on when you turned the lights on in the kitchen. The pulsation of the CFL light bulbs we were using created a pattern that must've simulated the IR remote's command to "turn on" to the TV! It took a little while to figure out what was going on initially. Simply putting in different light bulbs in the kitchen fixed that. But for a while it was like this scene out of "Grumpy Old Men":

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could also be that this particular TV uses some of the same encoding as the NVR uses, and I don't see an easy workaround for that.

We had a small TV in our kitchen, a few years ago, that would turn on when you turned the lights on in the kitchen. The pulsation of the CFL light bulbs we were using created a pattern that must've simulated the IR remote's command to "turn on" to the TV! It took a little while to figure out what was going on initially. Simply putting in different light bulbs in the kitchen fixed that. But for a while it was like this scene out of "Grumpy Old Men":

I've had the flicker of cfl/led bulbs effectively block the remote signal (too much noise) but never trigger an action on the tv.

Yeah it's certainly possible for some overlap in the IR signals or issues with precision involved in decoding the signals. Imagine for example if you designed a device that had a high tolerance for oscillator drift and a very simple/short structure to the ir commands.

Last edited:

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if not, then you're dealing with CEC commands being passed over HDMI not the IR.

I've just tried this and yes the NVR changes when I point the TV remote at the NVR in the loft with the IR blaster removed.

Do you think I can do anything about this?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like there is crossover of IR signals as I have a all in one remote which I don't normally use but I've just set it up and learnt the IR codes from the TV remote and this also adjusts the NVR so I doubt there is a way around this.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if I understand correctly, you have a programmable remote with learned commands of both units (?). You still have both original remotes? It works good while testing alone, even when using the blaster? If yes, why not trying to program again (i.e., tv channels) at a different button?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I have a programmable remote but I just learnt the TV command to see if that did the same.

I don't actually think there is a way around this unfortunaltly. Whenever I press the power button on the TV remote it sends a signal to the IR blaster and changes the view on the NVR and various buttons on the TV remote also trigger different events.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
understand, it looks like is using the same commands structure. In case you solve that problem, let us know. Your case is interesting. Good Luck

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a faint memory involving a linear polarizing filter or possibly some scotch magic tape as a possible solution to this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a faint memory involving a linear polarizing filter or possibly some scotch magic tape as a possible solution to this.
I think I have a whole roll of 3M # 33+ black, custom-sizeable, adhesive opaque filter patches in my tool box.

3M_33+.jpg

Last edited: