IR wavelength Spec?

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying accessory IR lighting for my Hikvision 2cd2142fwd cameras. They are mounted outdoors and I want to extend the range of night visibility. Lights I've looked at mention 850nm wavelength and not all cameras operate in this range.
I cannot find any spec for my 2142 camera. Does anyone know if the IR sensors of these camera's work at 850nm?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
850nm is the typical wavelength that cameras use / respond to for IR illumination. Rarely do manufacturers list the IR wavelength as 99.9% of cameras use 850nm (a few cameras use 940nm which eliminates the soft red glow of 850nm). Net/net, you should be fine buying an external IR illuminator.

How far do you want to extend the visibility?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
@username ,
FWIW, I have read that although the cam that comes with the typical 850nm will also detect and view with the 940, it's range is reduced, not sure to what extent, though.
Maybe some Google Fu will reveal a percentage .

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How far do you want to extend the visibility?
Thanks for wavelength explanation.

I’m looking at over 100 ft. The Speco Technologies IR80 advertises up to 147. I plan to locate the light approx 80 ft from my camera and aim it to illuminate the far corner of my yard. The few products I’ve looked at have very short 12v power cords so I’ll also need to find some way to extend power to approx 12 ft to make it to the power outlet. Shouldn’t be hard to make something up but would prefer to purchase ready-made solution.

If the illumination is sufficient I will look into possibility of adding wifi camera to improve the view.