Is 43°C temp OK for WD Purple Pro HDD

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I have an NVR Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 and 2 pieces of WD HDD installed in it, where the first HDD is WD Purple Pro of 10TB and the second HDD is WD Purple of 4TB.
On the 4TB WD Purple the temperature is 34°C , while on the 10TB WD Purple Pro the temperature is 10°C higher at 43°C , so I'm worried if that's an OK temperature...?
What are the temperatures on your HDDs?

System Info.pngWD101PURP.pngWD40PURZ.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will write here so as not to open a new topic.

I noticed that the second HDD (sdb) goes into sleep mode when the NVR Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 is not recording on it, while the first HDD (sda) never goes into sleep mode even when the NVR records on the second HDD (sdb)?

I'm curious if it can somehow be set so that the first HDD (sda) can also enter sleep mode when the NVR is recording and use the second HDD (sdb), because it doesn't make sense to me that it should be in operation and working nonstop... or simply it must be so because it records all logs only on the first HDD (sda), and that's why it never goes into sleep mode and has to be constantly active?

System Info.png
System info - sdb sleep.png

Last edited:

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 10 Tb Pro spins at 7200Rpm Vs 5640RPM of 4TB drive. this creates more heat. 43C is ok.
mine is at 54C
View attachment 154634
OK thanks, but as far as I can see these are the temperatures of the HDDs and SSDs that are in the PC?

But the other thing I'm interested in is the answer to my previous post and is it possible to set somewhere in the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 that the first HDD (sda) when it is not recording, it goes into sleep mode?

Because the point is that my 10TB HDD does not work non-stop and is not constantly active, but only when video material is recorded on it!

Or simply that I just change the positions of both HDDs and that if then the 10TB WD is registered as second HDD (sdb ) in the NVR will enter in sleep mode? ;)

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 more WD 4TB Purp Drives in the garage. They are inside a DVR and an NVR. They are exposed to Temps ranging from 102F to -10F in the 4108 NVR, for 2 years.
your fine.
Can't help on Sleeping drives. I would not wany my drives to spin down (sleep) on a surveilance system anyway. If motion is triggered and the drive heads are parked,,,,will it catch the important video? Maybe it will miss a lot of trigger activity?

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 more WD 4TB Purp Drives in the garage. They are inside a DVR and an NVR. They are exposed to Temps ranging from 102F to -10F in the 4108 NVR, for 2 years.
your fine.
Can't help on Sleeping drives. I would not wany my drives to spin down (sleep) on a surveilance system anyway. If motion is triggered and the drive heads are parked,,,,will it catch the important video? Maybe it will miss a lot of trigger activity?
I don't think anything will be missed, because the first HDD (sda) is always active and all logs are recorded on it, while the second HDD (sdb) is activated only when the first HDD is full or if you want to watch something recorded on the second HDD (sdb), but immediately after a few minutes of non-use it goes into sleep mode again, while the first HDD (sda) is always active! ;)

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats a nice feature. to save energy I suppose,,,,,
It should be like that, but the most important thing for me is that the heads in the HDD do not turn and the mechanism does not work unnecessarily, and therefore the temperature is lower by 15 degrees, which is useful for using the HDD for a long time and probably extends its life... ;)

Last edited:

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here I want to confirm that I changed the places of the HDDs and it is definitely that only the second HDD (sdb) can enter in sleep mode, while the first HDD (sda) always remains activ!

That suits me because now my second HDD (sdb) is a WD of 10TB and it doesn't spin unnecessarily if it's not active!

sdb sleep mode.png

Last edited: