Is 5.4 an official release?

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Topic says most.
And is www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/ an official Hikvision website?

Wondering since update frequency seems to have slowed down/stopped and the US site shows 5.3.6 as latest firmware.

I am currently on 5.4, but email alerts are not functioning (not Gmail).
Also the VCA arming schedule will change itself frequently.
Want it setup only from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., when my PTZ is static, but a few days later it is back to 24/7 arming schedule, giving me a ton of false positives and multiple pictures on my FTP.
PTZ patrol speed and time is also bugged. Time cannot be set below 15 seconds.

Find it strange that major bugs aren't corrected rapidly.

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, this is Hikvision Europe's official website (and it is much better arranged - although that's recent - and more up to date than the USA web site).

5.4.0 seems to have been an early release specifically to fix the gmail bug. It was "unreleased" for a while, but it appeared on the Hik Europe website a month or so ago and people have reported getting cameras with 5.4.0 (or even 5.4.1, which has not been released in update form).

I believe the consensus right now is that you should stay with 5.3.6/5.3.8 (or earlier) unless you need the gmail fix. 5.4.0 is not easily downgradable, so you can't just try it and downgrade if there is an issue.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, Laurent.

Yes, had a DS-2DE4220IW-D delivered with V5.4.0 build 160418, which is extremely buggy. Cannot get email alerts for example, and the images that can be sent from the NVR, doesn't display correctly (or at all) in my Outlook for some reason.
Hopefully they'll come out with something better very soon.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you, Laurent.

Yes, had a DS-2DE4220IW-D delivered with V5.4.0 build 160418, which is extremely buggy. Cannot get email alerts for example, and the images that can be sent from the NVR, doesn't display correctly (or at all) in my Outlook for some reason.
Hopefully they'll come out with something better very soon.
Good to see that two years after I got my first hikvision camera their developers still have no idea what they are doing. I'm absolutely terrified about upgrading the firmware on mine because so much of what hikvisino releases is garbage code. Your QA department should never be the public.

Reaction score
My DS-2CD2432F-IW purchased from amazon a month ago came with version 5.4.0 build 160530 and everybody else is talking about 5.2.5 hacked and 5.2.8
Is version 5.2.5 better than this 5.4.0? I want to buy more cameras but everywhere I look they all have this hacked version that can't be updated I don't know why.