Is air circulation a problem for a server (w/ Blue Iris for example) in a closet?

Reaction score
I'm in the research stage and was wondering if heat is an issue for having a server in a confined closet. I'd like to have my data storage in a locked closet which won't have AC. Do NVRs or even more powerful systems with Blue Iris cause too much heat for a closet that doesn't get circulation besides around the door?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your going to have some sort of active air exchange, you cant just put a machine in a sealed room.. it will thermally build up until it hits overload and shuts off.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on a lot of things. If the server is very efficient, not consuming a lot of power, you might get away with only using a little bit of passive ventilation. I have a small closet with a UPS, a switch (8 port, green, unmanaged, uses about 1 watt), a PoE injector, two network attached hard drives, and a unifi access point, all on the upper shelf. The two inch gap at the bottom of the door is enough to keep the temperature in the closet only a few degrees higher than outside the closet.