Is Auto Tracking Just A Gimmick

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought my first security cameras 5 years ago. After a year I thought I was ready for an upgrade but by not doing proper research I made a poor choice. Now I'm ready to try again but hopefully this time I can get it right. After reading though some of the forums it seem that the camera of choice is Dahua. Now I need to figure out which one. My first decision is should I get a camera with auto tracking? I have seen many videos and it seems very useful but does it work and is it practical? My concern is that if there is multiple things going on in a scene that maybe one moving object could pull the camera away from something more important that is going on. If multiple things are moving will a Dahua camera keep everything in view or will it choose one of them and start tracking it? I have read reviews on other cameras with auto tracking and people say they turn it off because its unstable or just doesn't work. Is Dahua tracking good? What is the general thought on auto tracking?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I have a SD52C225U-HNI 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ camera.

So my experience with auto tracking. When motion is detected it will lock on ONE object and that only that one object. If there are multiple objects in the frame the camera will ignore everything else and only focus and track the first object it locks on. If the objects stops then after about 3 seconds the camera returns to it's previous position.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you had to replace that camera would you get auto tracking again? Are you glad that you did get it and has it been consistent? Does it do anything crazy, like jump all over the scene because of trees or leaves blowing?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't buy the camera solely because of the autotracking. I bought it because of other features and that it just so happened to have autotrack. I think if there was 2 models offered and all the features were the same with only difference being autotracking I would opt for the camera without it if it was...lets say $50 cheaper.

It will occasionally jump around if it's very windy outside but it's rare. I think it depends on what exactly your goal is. I can say that the autotracking is very responsive and locks on to a fast moving object really well...lets say a car going down the street at 20mph.

All in all most of the time autotracking is just a feature that a higher end Dahua has when you buy a PTZ from them

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dasstrum,
Which firmware are you using on the camera (I have the same with a 2016 FW). I am finding the Autotracking doesnt work particularly well. Periodically a car will drive in & the camera zooms in on a tire (not helpful).

Thanks,
Rich

I didn't buy the camera solely because of the autotracking. I bought it because of other features and that it just so happened to have autotrack. I think if there was 2 models offered and all the features were the same with only difference being autotracking I would opt for the camera without it if it was...lets say $50 cheaper.

It will occasionally jump around if it's very windy outside but it's rare. I think it depends on what exactly your goal is. I can say that the autotracking is very responsive and locks on to a fast moving object really well...lets say a car going down the street at 20mph.

All in all most of the time autotracking is just a feature that a higher end Dahua has when you buy a PTZ from them

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dasstrum,
Which firmware are you using on the camera (I have the same with a 2016 FW). I am finding the Autotracking doesnt work particularly well. Periodically a car will drive in & the camera zooms in on a tire (not helpful).

Thanks,
Rich
Software Version2.422.0000.8.R.E4.2512.3S.NR, Build Date: 2017-03-15
PTZ Version3.02.20.RHNP

I've actually never updated the camera firmware

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! That is helpful.

For your motion tracking setup - are you using a tripwire or intrusion? Is it mostly accurate?

It seems if i set more than one rule, nothing happens. If motion in my "intrusion" area stops, stays still for 30 seconds, then moves again it doesnt track the object well.

I added a tripwire to the rule also & then I got no motion - so either both rules must be met or something is wrong. Not sure which is the better option.

My dog ran in the area & it did a zoom of the ground where he was moments before (missing the dog running (slowly) away.